Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

The brine recipe looked to good. Apple Cider, H2O, Bay leaves, rosemary, oranges, garlic, peppercorns, salt and brown sugar. That is the purpose of purchaseing the whole free range turkey without any additives. I will do it again and next time I am doing it like my son does - massage under the skin and basting and all that work. But I want to try it someday.

2. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Ivie the shelling of eggs is so easy it is unbelievable.

Just put the hard boiled egg in a glass, IT MUST BE A GLASS GLASS not a plastic one. Half fill the glass with cold water and shake the crap out of it, the shell either comes off or loosens so much it slips off the egg.

I always have pitted eggs when I try to shell them, this way they are all pretty. I assume Carrie will want pretty eggs, she seems a little high maintenance.

When you post from the IPhone do not use the app, Upload it from "sarfari" open BYC in safari and it is just like using a putor.

4. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I have treated plywood under my steel roof, have not seen any condensation? Maybe that would work for you? I'd leave the plastic though, keep the snow and rain out of the run. Or it will be wetter in there

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Maybe I was not clear, when I said cut slots in the side high up on the sides, if there is no eave you would need to put one there to keep the rain and snow out.

6. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Checking out the new digs here. It will be awhile before I can read through the whole thread. I posted this on the MN thread and copied and pasted it here in case anyone can help out.

Does anyone have feed mills mix layer feed for you? My BIL is looking into getting feed by the bulk. He is talking to the guy about different mixes. I am currently getting feed from that mill that I like a lot. Problem is BIL doesn't like that fish meal is used for protein and wants to take it out completely and just up the linseed meal. I don't agree and think that could be bad for the hens but I need the facts to back it up. Can anyone point me to where I can learn about the nutritional needs for chickens and the percents and all that stuff?

7. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    So I have some exciting news well at least for me it is. We processed one of our geese, brined it and smoked it for thanksgiving. AND it actually tasted good. I was so worried and nervous because we have NEVER done anything like that before and reading on the internet if you botch the cooking of the goose it tastes like liver which I don't care for in the slightest.

1 person likes this.
  8. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Rhetts!! I was getting ready to pm you!! Where have u been!!

Friday we have to preg check cattle wish me luck!! Its going to be wet!!

9. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    And some pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Rhetts

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Holm I love your pics!

after you are done doing your cows come over to my house to do mine could you please?! Oh, I got another cow!! Makes 3 for me now. the last one is a highland heifer about 2 years old possibly bred in Aug. Super fun having cattle!! Our little calf is growing like crazy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by