Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Coffee 1st

Coffee 1st Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2015
    should i believe the Temperature gauge in my coop? it is 10:30 pm and it says its 40 degrees inside coop... I placed it right by where they roost... I have coop insulated but pop door is open west side, west window is slightly open, south vent is open, east window is cracked open..i know the inside is working because it says in house 69 with 38 humidity...

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'd believe it, pretty warm out. I think mine said 37 last night before I went to bed. Forgot to look this morning. Water bowl not frozen, I've been giving water with electrolytes and probiotics due to Fi molting, not eating much, other than a few live meal worms. It felt really warm this morning. The snow just pushed off the old Honda, no scraping at 5 o'clock.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I think what she's saying there is that Ralphie will be washing out his own turkeys before roasting or smoking. Cuz she ain't going to be doing nuttin'.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

BC you are talking about now, After she completes my 40 year training program she will relish cleaning, washing and cooking my turkeys. Matter of fact she will enjoy mucking their coop.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above pictures are just to get the mad woman threatening poor turkeys with a baseball bat out of the big picture in the upper right. It was driving me crazy or crazier, depending on your point of view.

I enjoy all of the above things more than her and her bat. After training the bat will be gone.
    It is getting light, I am hoping my bird netting made it. If not I am not sure what I will do as we leave on our trip Thursday..

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I just looked at the netting, It is all down,,,Going out now,,dang

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Back in for more coffee.

It was not as bad as it looked from the house. there is one pole where the netting broke through, it is a place we had repaired before. I am going to put a T on the top of the pole to take up slack and spread the weight around. I shook the snow off the netting fairly easily.

I opened the Man Door for the turkeys so they did not have to go into the netted area until I have it fixed. They have not went outside, I assume the snow has them freaked out.

I opened the coop door and the guineas gathered in the door to argue the merits of walking out onto the snow. They decided not too. After going to the Creamettes coop and checking on them, where I got a diamond encrusted egg! two this week! I went back to the layers coop and went to collect eggs, I had to go to the back nest boxes (I sure wish I knew why they use the boxes they do and when). I collected a half a dozen eggs then, I have only had the lights going for 3 days I cannot believe it is affecting the laying already.

The guineas got between me and the door, They were again arguing the aspects of snow that only guineas understand. As I approached the door they had to either go outside or let me be really close to them. The chose to leave. However, they did not touch the snow, they flew up into the surrounding trees and back to the fence rail. Where they continued to discuss the snow.

The chickens are just looking out the door, Silently deliberating the dangers of going outside.

More coffee needed! Post post post

8. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Good morning all!

Yesterday I saw yesterday that my leghorn hen who is heavy molting had a very watery dropping. Aka pretty much all water. Based on my searching it seems like this is due to her not eating enough. I tried to get her to eat tuna, and then tuna mixed with crumbles and she refused both. Do I dare try to force feed her something? I've seen her drinking so I'm not too concerned about dehydration. I will probably add electrolytes to the water starting tonight. She is getting so skinny I worry

9. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Good Morning ya all. Nice to read ya. Finally settling down at the desk to work on quick books but first - gotta greet my 'friends.' Looooong weekend. Did not like the free-range turkey I bought and brined. Everyone eating said it was fine. Maybe I will change my mind when it is time for leftovers.

My 'nagging' concern about the chickens is their run. That metal roof sweats as liquid melts on the outside of it and I know it is air leaky (which I consider as venting) but all the plastic covering it frosts up so that means more humidity inside it. Well, I do not expect it to be absent of humidity and plastic is not insulating except to keep the wind out, should I be concerned? IF I insulate the roof with foam - will it help because my thought is that that roof is still sweating only now it sweats onto the foam.

Still getting eggs - three a day and sometimes four. Isn't that light in the coop just amazing Ralphie? Six eggs!

I did run some greens with lights in them around the front of my coop. Hopefully they will send Christmas cheer to those traveling by.

10. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Good morning Everyone :)
    light snow here and about 1 1/2 inch wet snow on the ground. The chickens don't even want to come out into the covered run so I tossed in some boss, after eating it they went back inside the coop. Spoiled brats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by