Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ivie: Maybe your run could use some tweeks. I'm not sure. But I will tell you that this snow storm has a lot! of moisture to it. Those temps and humidity in the air with it....well it's no wonder that you are seeing what you are seeing. I'll tell ya so you're not too hard on yourself. It's a problematic thing when the relative humidity outside the coop and an enclosed run do not allow for drying out anyways. With the best ventilation it's a hard one to fight. It's almost better when it's colder out and the air is dryer. You know what I mean?

Good morning to ya! Too By the Way.

I had a Flat tire this morning. I think it's been going on for a while actually and then it finally got big enough to affect the tire. I'd been hearing this odd little sing songy sound from that wheel for about a month. then I added air to my tires because we'd had some cold weather here...and thought they needed a touch up on Sunday. Looked down and sure enough the dang thing was bubbling air out of the tread. Got it in to our local shop right away--a little late for work-- and they did it for free. So today I need to pay it forward somehow.

Ralphie. Here's a funny thing I just changed my settings so I could see signature lines last week. LOL. I had no idea what people were looking at for 4 years on BYC when they'd say the signature line.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Ivie:

What was wrong with the Free range turkey? When was it processed?

You need to get rid of that moisture or you will lose combs and may end up with respiratory problems.

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    You mean you a have missed all the creativity and energy I have put into the signature lines for the last 2 years?/

4. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Pretty much.

If you don't investigate every bell and whistle of your settings in your profile you don't see these things.

5. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe I was just too tired. Everyone else said it was good. I tasted not as moist and I thought the brine would affect it more than it did. It looked like a really good brine. It was different.

So do I rip down all the plastic and start over? And why wouldn't the new plastic frost up? What can I do to dry it out some? I think the foam insulation will just be wet and not keep the metal roof from evaporating inside the coop. MY DH will probably faint but oh well. Its been awhile since I ruffled his feathers - as to the chickens. Don't think I have been letting him be when it comes to other 'things.'

I want to revamp the coop anyway. I am determining how I should go about doing that. Ideas are rolling around in my head.

FOUR eggs this morning!

6. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    I agree - it is hard to keep things dry anywhere when the ground and air are so wet! I will be mucking out one coop this weekend because the sawdust has become so damp in there! the chickens track the moisture in and its getting gross. Hopefully the weather makes a choice and either gets cold and stays cold, or warms up and dries up.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I could not imagine chickening in the Pacific Northwest.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I have never brined a turkey except to smoke it.

Ours were great and they lived free range until they met BR for the second time, He is rough on Turkeys.

I do not think you need to rip it down. I would think slots cut near the roof on opposite sides would do it. North/south or east west. Make sure the roost are below the slots by 18 inches or so to keep them out of the draft. Then plug any holes you have on the bottom to stop drafts. Mine seem to be doing ok with the slots on opposite sides. Your climate is very similar to mine, except I am WAY further north of you.

I only have 3 chickens outside today. Blackie and his two pullets.

Bert nor his girls never left his tractor. Ed and his gals, refuse to budge from the coop. I have a picture of them huddled by the interior door looking at me with fear in their eyes, they thought I was going to make them go out in the white stuff.

I opened the door for King George, if no one else is going to be outside he can go out. He refused too.

I do have Guineas and turkeys out running around. They are loving the snow. The Guineas must have debated the pros and con and decided to go for it.

9. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Roger and his Hens have spent the morning on the roost in bed. I bribed them into the run with BOSS and scratch though at noon. No eggs today. Dixie is broody again.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Ed stepped outside this afternoon, He was not sure of the snow, he only came out after I plowed him a place that was snow free.

[​IMG]

Here is where the girls spend the day:
    [​IMG]

And here is proof wire ties are as valuable as duct tape on a farm,

[​IMG]

It only took a few minutes to "fix" the netting. I put up the cross member and left the hole in the netting around the post. I just wire tied it everywhere I could so it would not break again.

Also I was talking to JJ today. He told me my birds have a nickname for BR. He also said I all have to do is say "Jeff is coming" and many of the birds break out in a cold sweat.

They named him after a TV show created by Kurt Sutter they call him " the ******* Executioner". I guess they have figured out every time BR comes here, someone loses their head.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by