Surviving Minnesota!

It’s already up to 46 here. :) The last couple days have been warm like that, but seriously dripping with fog. Supposed to be nice today! We’ll pay for that though. They’re saying 3-6” of snow Friday. (Sigh) It’s just the weather... what’re ya gonna do?

I did not check the temp when I got up, but I did go out and throw a chunk of ice out of my sap..(the cheapest way to distill sap is let the water freeze )

It is only 30 right now. Instead of cleaning in the house (orders from the WW) I should be out dumping sap buckets and throwing ice out...
I remember dad telling me that is how they made apple Jack out of hard cider . Freeze distilling .

I remember dad telling me that is how they made apple Jack out of hard cider . Freeze distilling .
I am actually thinking of getting an old freezer and setting the buckets of sap in it for a day or two before boiling it down.

I am also going to dig out my old cream separator and see if that will spin off the sugars. In theory it should, the commercial places use centrifuges and reverse osmosis. A cream separator is nothing but a centrifuge, as far as I know.

Jerry. I never knew they did apple jack like that!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applejack_(drink)

A new winter hobby to make ice fishing more fun!

Last edited:
It’s already up to 46 here. :) The last couple days have been warm like that, but seriously dripping with fog. Supposed to be nice today! We’ll pay for that though. They’re saying 3-6” of snow Friday. (Sigh) It’s just the weather... what’re ya gonna do?
At least it’s March, so you know the snow should melt sooner rather than later.

Good afternoon,
I let the toads out to free range today for the first time. Within 10 minutes they covered the back yard and were onto the front yard. Hopefully, they find the spilled sunflower seeds the husband spilt across the front driveway.

I have a batch of eggs in the incubator due on Saturday, hopefully some bantam black Orpington and a few bantam buff Orpington.

Good afternoon,
I let the toads out to free range today for the first time. Within 10 minutes they covered the back yard and were onto the front yard. Hopefully, they find the spilled sunflower seeds the husband spilt across the front driveway.

I have a batch of eggs in the incubator due on Saturday, hopefully some bantam black Orpington and a few bantam buff Orpington.
I have a bunch of smaller hatches staggered throughout the next month. 1 due today, 2 due on the 31st, 7 on April 10th and maybe a couple more on the 15th. :th

so considering going back into the adventure of butcher birds and I mentioned ralphies toads to a friend. She followed up with asking me about them and I started talking genetics of course he husband a true city guy had his eyes glaze over and asked why not just buy chicken at the store. Honestly she is used to dairy operation but you know farm is farm. :) so thinking about the whole thing ideas on what's good. And does any body have opinions on red rangers? Tis the season for fluffy butts:wee

so considering going back into the adventure of butcher birds and I mentioned ralphies toads to a friend. She followed up with asking me about them and I started talking genetics of course he husband a true city guy had his eyes glaze over and asked why not just buy chicken at the store. Honestly she is used to dairy operation but you know farm is farm. :) so thinking about the whole thing ideas on what's good. And does any body have opinions on red rangers? Tis the season for fluffy butts:wee

I don't have any information, but welcome back :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom