Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Quote:
not that they HAVE flowers, they ARE flowers... Swedish Flowers.
wink.png
oh!!! i didn't understand that!!!
well, they aren't likely to GET flowers for a few more weeks, but it doesn't change that they will have them. LOL

they're in the 'spazz mode' right now. every time I add food or water they all want to run around screaming. had 2 jump. close to a 6' drop, they both landed in the feed bucket. LOL nice soft landing at least.

Quote:
not that they HAVE flowers, they ARE flowers... Swedish Flowers.
wink.png
oh!!! i didn't understand that!!!
well, they aren't likely to GET flowers for a few more weeks, but it doesn't change that they will have them. LOL

they're in the 'spazz mode' right now. every time I add food or water they all want to run around screaming. had 2 jump. close to a 6' drop, they both landed in the feed bucket. LOL nice soft landing at least.
lol thats funny chicks

Thank you for replying. I am sorry you lost him like that and I am very sorry if my question about testing upset you.

I just think it odd that I keep hearing of SFH boys dying suddenly while still young of no known cause.   If any of my boys or girls do that I am going to have them tested (necropsy is free in CA) - I would want to know if there is a genetic problem or if something is wrong so I can plan on how to get away from this problem.  It may be linked to the limited genetic pool we have over here and doubling up of unwanted genetic traits.  If anybody else has this happen and will test their birds, please let me know the results?

I always have my dead birds tested, and everything always comes up negative for bacterial and viral screens. The necropsy itself is always nonspecific. I never get any answers, other than I don't have MG, Salmonella, etc, in my flock. Even though I could do the necropsy myself, I send them out to a pathologist because they can do the testing that I cannot. It is definitely worth it, even if you have to pay for it.

I'm not sure sudden death can mean it is genetic. I have had more birds of mine of other breeds drop dead than my SFH.

I think it's just more noticeable because we count every SFH, since they are so rare, kwim.

I have had one roo die, but he didn't look right the day before so I suspected illness (testing was completely negative), and I had a pullet die unexpectedly two weeks ago. My black pullet. Sigh.

Quote: I am sorry about your roo and black pullet. If he was ill wouldn't it show on the test? Did they give you "cause of death"? I think you are right - its because we count every SFH that they are more noticeable.

I have had only one bird tested - that was a Show Girl given to me because she was acting "off" - and when she died I wanted to make sure she didn't carry anything that would affect the rest of my flock. She was completely in quarantine - no contact with any other bird, fed and handled last and changed clothes. She went downhill very quickly, but no sign of outward illness except she refused to eat or drink and would fight any force feeding.

The necropsy report came back chronic inflamation of the bronchial tubes and feeding "tube" (forgot exact name) and bacterial and fungal growths inside her lungs and airways. It was very specific on cause of death (dehydration and starvation because she would not eat or drink because it hurt). I don't know if it was because I requested cause of death or what, but it wasn't just "not MG, Salmonella, etc.." it told me what happened. That information was included, but that was not the end of the test. I was able to contact the previous owner and she has since changed the living situation for the rest of her birds, hopefully no more will get sick like that.

I have only had one other drop-dead bird - it was a juvie Mottled Houdan last year and he didn't look well in the morning, gone by noon. If I had known about the testing at that time I would have sent him in. I only found out about it the beginning of this year. I suspected heart trouble, but had no way to test.

I agree - it is very useful to know what is wrong. I am not sure why they don't give you any more specifics - perhaps you have to request it? Mine was done by UC Davis, perhaps they use the birds as teaching tools so they do a complete exam, more than you would get from a cursory exam.
idunno.gif

Twice in the past week or more, I have posted to this list looking for a source for Swedish flower hens. I'm going to give it one last shot.
I live in Montana and am looking for Swedish flower hens. I do not want eggs at this time but I'm looking for chicks or started birds. I have a variety of chicks (2 breda, 2sfh, 5 marans) from very recent hatches so I have to keep my brooder going for many weeks to come and may as well maximize my time and power bill. along with the sfh I am looking for breda, blue copper or Blue wheaten marans, bbs orps, and standard cochins. can someone please help me or direct me to a source or sources?

Last edited:
Twice in the past week or more, I have posted to this list looking for a source for Swedish flower hens. I'm going to give it one last shot.
I live in Montana and am looking for Swedish flower hens. I do not want eggs at this time but I'm looking for chicks or started birds. I have a variety of chicks (2 breda, 2sfh, 5 marans) from very recent hatches so I have to keep my brooder going for many weeks to come and may as well maximize my time and power bill. along with the sfh I am looking for breda, blue copper or Blue wheaten marans, bbs orps, and standard cochins. can someone please help me or direct me to a source or sources?
sorry if you felt ignored, but you haven't been... to re-summarize it all, I've mentioned as have several others, nobody seems to have chicks in your area... if we do have chicks we aren't shipping. i'm not even getting eggs at the moment since everyone's moulting horribly. you would probably be best ordering from greenfire farms directly if you do not want eggs or don't want to wait.

as I discovered when I went in search of my dorkings a few years ago, this is the wrong time of year to be looking for birds, for the most part. yes I have chicks. some are not mine, and the ones that are aren't for sale, as I want to grow them out and see what we've got.

Last edited:

Hey Jennie
I'm pretty sure the best way to get chicks right now is from Greenfire. Since the SFH are still pretty rare no one really has birds up for sale. I'm going to be ordering again soon.
Best
Cathie Sue

Quote: LOL see, I don't have money for greenfire. so I just get others interested in breeds I like then talk them out of eggs down the road. LOL just as Leigh.
lau.gif

but seriously, I have a bunch of chicks right now, but like many others, i'm growing out what I can to see which ones I want to keep for breeding. then i'll part with the rest.

I have some for sale but I don't ship. I have 4-5 for sale right now, 5 weeks or so...if you had a friend over in the Seattle area, they would have to pick up. These chicks are direct from GFF and I am downsizing. hens and roo sets.

Well I finally got some pictures of my recently added SFH chicks. These are the four chicks I got from Leigh and Karen at Gilmanor. The two white with reddish feathers are from Leah. The chocolate/white and white chicks are from KYTinpusher via Karen. The chocolate/white acts and carries himself like a young cockerel. Too early to tell with the others. While I hope for some pullets, it seldom seems to work that way.
sad.png
These chicks were hatched just prior to Gilmanor in September, probably September 18.

These pictures were taken in the evening as the sun was setting.

These two chicks came from eggs that I got from Leigh. These chicks were hatched on October 12.

The hen in this case was the "Y" hen as marked on the eggs. I would like to get pictures of the mother and father. Of the SFH chicks that I have acquired and hatched, this is the first time that I have gotten one that had blue gray down. So it will be interesting to watch this one grow out.

Lastly, a tribute to Harley, my main rooster, he truly does not miss any hens in the lot. This chick is a SFHxBSL (black sex link) cross. Very black with yellow belly and yellow brows, very striking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom