Swedish Flower Hen Thread

@HenLeia

Your chicks are very nice. At about 6 weeks you should have a pretty good idea of sex on the SFH. Sometimes a boy will pop a pink comb early, or fool you into thinking you have a beautiful pullet and change to a Roo overnight, lol. I've had both happen! In fact, I sold two 7 week old "pullets" to a customer and shipped them down south and she called them the sista girls until one day she took a good look at them and had to admit that they were boys. I felt terrible for her and couldn't believe they BOTH were boys!!

@HenLeia

Your chicks are very nice. At about 6 weeks you should have a pretty good idea of sex on the SFH. Sometimes a boy will pop a pink comb early, or fool you into thinking you have a beautiful pullet and change to a Roo overnight, lol. I've had both happen! In fact, I sold two 7 week old "pullets" to a customer and shipped them down south and she called them the sista girls until one day she took a good look at them and had to admit that they were boys. I felt terrible for her and couldn't believe they BOTH were boys!!

1f633.png
don't tell my husband, but if we end up with really pretty boys => that will lead to more SFH purchases. My oldest already looking for a silkie. Poor man goes from no chickens to 13 (really unlucky number must get another) in 1 year!

Ok just noticed feather sexing may be accurate with this breed so took a look at their 2 day old wings and it looks to me like the light one is a girl and the dark one is a boy. Time will tell if I'm right. So for now Farrah's new name is Frankie unless he proves me wrong. Even the way he stands looks boyish.

Ok just noticed feather sexing may be accurate with this breed so took a look at their 2 day old wings and it looks to me like the light one is a girl and the dark one is a boy. Time will tell if I'm right. So for now Farrah's new name is Frankie unless he proves me wrong. Even the way he stands looks boyish.

Adorable chicks and though it doesn't really mean anything your dark one does remind me a lot of my little boy when I got him. Same kind of stance and "look" to him. Best of luck to you and these are wonderful pix.

thank you. I'm glad I was worried they were going to be more white but have been darkening up as he gets older. My little pullet though has gorgeous yellow legs! I hope in the spring to purchase some eggs/chicks to start a breeding program. Would like to get some SL's and some Germans but you know how chicken math is!
big_smile.png
I don't know if I'll use him or not yet but I want to get some different bloodlines in there before I do anything.

thank you. I'm glad I was worried they were going to be more white but have been darkening up as he gets older. My little pullet though has gorgeous yellow legs! I hope in the spring to purchase some eggs/chicks to start a breeding program. Would like to get some SL's and some Germans but you know how chicken math is!
big_smile.png
I don't know if I'll use him or not yet but I want to get some different bloodlines in there before I do anything.
Although different bloodlines is a good idea in the begining.... If I had a nice line going down the road I would be hesitant to add "new blood".

Line breeding is OK with chickens and when done correctly quite desirable. Inbreeding isn't a problem with chickens as it is with some other animals, for at least a few generations. But just 2 would be a hard place to start.

Chicken math... huh?!
hide.gif
big_smile.png
3 magically turned into 48 this year. But there are at least 5 on the menu... which leaves room for what... 7 or 8 more? I'm done raising chicks this year
barnie.gif
but I can foretell next year won't be chick free!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom