Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Ok just noticed feather sexing may be accurate with this breed so took a look at their 2 day old wings and it looks to me like the light one is a girl and the dark one is a boy. Time will tell if I'm right. So for now Farrah's new name is Frankie unless he proves me wrong. Even the way he stands looks boyish.

love.gif
Will be curious to see how Frankie matures. Definite handsome cockerel stance, like to see how accurate some indicators are. Both are beauties!
droolin.gif

Although different bloodlines is a good idea in the begining.... If I had a nice line going down the road I would be hesitant to add "new blood".

Line breeding is OK with chickens and when done correctly quite desirable. Inbreeding isn't a problem with chickens as it is with some other animals, for at least a few generations. But just 2 would be a hard place to start.

Chicken math... huh?!
hide.gif
big_smile.png
3 magically turned into 48 this year. But there are at least 5 on the menu... which leaves room for what... 7 or 8 more? I'm done raising chicks this year
barnie.gif
but I can foretell next year won't be chick free!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
That is kind of what I was thinking. I would like to get a couple of lines to start with and then kind of go from there. We started this spring by getting 6 chickens and two ducks. They got killed by a predator and we re-did the coop and got more. We are up to 17 total now but only the two SFH's so would like to look at one more SFH roo and a couple more pullets...but may decide on getting eggs and then ya know ya gotta get extras...Also want to look at breeding my CCL's so...I see many chicks in our future!
jumpy.gif
I thought we'd have a couple on the menu this year but now hubby says he doesn't think he can do it so...bigger better coop!!

That is kind of what I was thinking. I would like to get a couple of lines to start with and then kind of go from there. We started this spring by getting 6 chickens and two ducks. They got killed by a predator and we re-did the coop and got more. We are up to 17 total now but only the two SFH's so would like to look at one more SFH roo and a couple more pullets...but may decide on getting eggs and then ya know ya gotta get extras...Also want to look at breeding my CCL's so...I see many chicks in our future!
jumpy.gif
I thought we'd have a couple on the menu this year but now hubby says he doesn't think he can do it so...bigger better coop!!
I wouldn't keep the extra roos I wasn't gonna breed. It adds up to a lot of extra mouths to feed, noise, flock tensions. If keeping them, you might want a bachelor pen for your pullets to get some rest. I like to have at least two roos in case something happens.

Assure Hubby it's OK, though I understand. Get a good plan in place for extra roos. There will be a lot of them! Maybe you can work something out where you raise, someone else processes, and you both eat. My hubby said he thought he could process the bird but not be the one who makes the first cut. As I started preparing to make the first cut, seems like he might be coming around to being ready. To me, processing is the gross part. Hope we aren't vegetarian by the end of this year!!
wink.png
In theory, I raise them, hubby will process, daughter will cook...
fl.gif
We all will eat!

I was even considering raising 2 lines side by side (even from the same origin). And then a few generations down crossing out some blood that would then be farther apart than bro/sis or dad/daughter. Haven't got the details worked out yet and have way more learning to do still.

I guess I am still learning what colors are even available in the SFH!
hmm.png
And having fun. Always new I liked math... just didn't know why. But it's all becoming very clear to me now!
D.gif

I won't keep the extra Roos. We will try to get rid of them or I will process. (we do have a neighbor that will take any extra roos, as well) I don't want my lovely ladies getting TOO much attention from them.

I wouldn't keep the extra roos I wasn't gonna breed. It adds up to a lot of extra mouths to feed, noise, flock tensions. If keeping them, you might want a bachelor pen for your pullets to get some rest. I like to have at least two roos in case something happens.

Assure Hubby it's OK, though I understand. Get a good plan in place for extra roos. There will be a lot of them! Maybe you can work something out where you raise, someone else processes, and you both eat. My hubby said he thought he could process the bird but not be the one who makes the first cut. As I started preparing to make the first cut, seems like he might be coming around to being ready. To me, processing is the gross part. Hope we aren't vegetarian by the end of this year!!
wink.png
In theory, I raise them, hubby will process, daughter will cook...
fl.gif
We all will eat!

I was even considering raising 2 lines side by side (even from the same origin). And then a few generations down crossing out some blood that would then be farther apart than bro/sis or dad/daughter. Haven't got the details worked out yet and have way more learning to do still.

I guess I am still learning what colors are even available in the SFH!
hmm.png
And having fun. Always new I liked math... just didn't know why. But it's all becoming very clear to me now!
D.gif
yea i don't plan on keeping the extra roos. I have a neighbor that will take all the extras we have if we can't bring ourselves to process them. I'm hoping that hubby will come around but I think I have to quit naming them and such for that!

I'm thinking the same thing about raising the two or 3 lines and then crossing down the road but we will have to wait and see. We are in the process of moving and maybe looking at buying the house we are now moving into so if so....lots more chickens. Maybe I will retire early and just raise chickens!!
lau.gif
Wishful thinking!

I won't keep the extra Roos. We will try to get rid of them or I will process. (we do have a neighbor that will take any extra roos, as well) I don't want my lovely ladies getting TOO much attention from them.

yea i don't plan on keeping the extra roos. I have a neighbor that will take all the extras we have if we can't bring ourselves to process them. I'm hoping that hubby will come around but I think I have to quit naming them and such for that!

I'm thinking the same thing about raising the two or 3 lines and then crossing down the road but we will have to wait and see. We are in the process of moving and maybe looking at buying the house we are now moving into so if so....lots more chickens. Maybe I will retire early and just raise chickens!!
lau.gif
Wishful thinking!
lau.gif
Love that line of thinking. High hopes are awesome.
highfive.gif

Since I have moved and bought houses, I know both can be stressful. Good luck with that!
fl.gif

Ya, I was told not to name the ones we will be eating. Right now most have names. But of my current brood, I know some are on the menu for sure. So I am trying not to name those ones. Maybe try what others do and call them dinner and supper...
wink.png

thank you.  I'm glad I was worried they were going to be more white but have been darkening up as he gets older.  My little pullet though has gorgeous yellow legs!  I hope in the spring to purchase some eggs/chicks to start a breeding program.  Would like to get some SL's and some Germans but you know how chicken math is! :D I don't know if I'll use him or not yet but I want to get some different bloodlines in there before I do anything. 

I have 2 gorgeous German Roos. I also have German hens in a separate pen. I also have a SL roo with 4 SL hens.
You can see photos on my farm page:
https://www.facebook.com/BartelFarmsEggsandChickens/
Keep me in mind when you are ready to add to your flock. I am NPIP A1 Clean & have shipped all over the country!

The person I got my swedish flower chicks offered me a chance to swap out my my supposed boy for another one that we think may be a girl. She tried feather sexing them after I told her I did and she thought all 8 of them looked like girls. Not sure that's possible but you never know. So I picked up a black one and named her Fifi. The name came to me as I was driving her home.

I have 2 gorgeous German Roos. I also have German hens in a separate pen. I also have a SL roo with 4 SL hens.
You can see photos on my farm page:
https://www.facebook.com/BartelFarmsEggsandChickens/
Keep me in mind when you are ready to add to your flock. I am NPIP A1 Clean & have shipped all over the country!
I just looked at your facebook page and yes you have some gorgeous birds. I will definitely be looking your way this spring! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom