Swedish Flower Hen Thread

You are top of my list if/when I get this breed again! DO you sell your snoleopards??? I would love a blue based SFH!   Also, when you sell started pullets, have they been handled and are they still friendly?

ETA; ps that blue based girl in the top pic is gorgeous!!
thank you, she is now of my older girls now 3 or 4 years old. Still laying 3 to 4 days a week and Xlarge eggs.

I don't handle them a lot. I do handle them once a week or every other week just as basic health checks. By the time they are ready for me to sell on they will usually allow you to pet them or roosting and won't run way from you for just doing daily chores like feeding/cleaning while they may still run if you single one out to be caught. Even unhandled I have found the sfh to be inquisitive and friendly although they may not be right at your feet when they see you.

If I get enough good snoleopards next year I will be selling some. I cull hard and if they are too small or show split wing or sprigs they go in the freezer or a pet home. The only snoleopard I have considered letting go this year is a cockerel but I'm considering keeping him now as he is starting to shape up really nice. I am going to separate out the 3 or 4 snoleopard pullets and hens and put m with one of the 2 boys next year for a snoleopard only pen. All of my snoleopard are uncrested currently but hoping next year to get a crested pullet or two as I will keep the other cockerel in the regular color run. Feel free to send me a message anytime and I'll answer anything you'd like to know.

One other comment I will say about my SFH, I loved the combs on my girls. My hen with a crest had a beautiful little comb - sometimes combs and crests don't play together so well - like on the Cream Legbars - their combs can be large and floppy and it can mess up the crest and vice versa. My crested SFH had a nice comb (and wattles), red, smooth, not too big, tucked into her rounded crest.

These are not the best photos but all I could find. The buff in the back was our non-crested SFH and the multi-colored with the crest in the front was the other. They were great foragers.

ETA: The picture under my user name has 2 of their eggs in it... one laid a slightly more rounded egg and the other, well, egg-shaped.

I love that crested hen. I've never had a dark girl like that with a crest.

I love that crested hen. I've never had a dark girl like that with a crest.
Aww, thanks! Her name was Crazy Hair
big_smile.png
My husband named the buff one Whitey Bulger (I think after a gangster?) She was his favorite - and he's not really a "chicken guy". He thought she was cool though. We were sad to lose these two from our flock.

Here's a couple pics I took today. We just spent the afternoon sending 6 young cockrells to freezer camp.
Nice looking Flowers you got there! I'd love to see a side view of the boy with the blue/orange/white chest. The hen in the second photo is very similar to our Crazy Hair, except for her head (lack of crest and smaller comb/wattles by a touch).

I'm ordering 3 Swedish Flower Hens from MyPetChicken.com. What can ANYONE tell me about their: 1). Personality, 2). The color of EGGS (I've heard Cream, Tan, Light Brown, and Pink! I've ordered them with my 1st. Flock. Can't find much on SFH from MPC. HELP!

I seriously would not buy from a hatchery when there are so many fine breeders who will have better pricing and more beautiful birds. If you need help finding a breeder, let me know.

Here's a couple pics I took today. We just spent the afternoon sending 6 young cockrells to freezer camp.
My SL boy looked very much like yours. He truly was a beautiful specimen. His waddles were so huge!

My 17 year old daughter sent him to freezer camp two days ago because he had developed a sprig.
sad.png
He was also going to be a very good breeder. From the day he started, he was on target!

Hmmm, I wonder why so many of mine look similar to yours?
tongue.png
My dark base SL girl is still looking beautiful!

It's been an experience having a bunch of boys hit puberty all at once!
he.gif
And after our first processing day I am seriously considering not breeding at all.
hmm.png
But hopefully completing the stag pen will help bring that back into focus.

Back
Top Bottom