Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Do you actually have a price in mind that you were considering?

Deciding who to keep or not when faults aren't involved is one of my more difficult tasks.

Faults make it easy. It's kinda like the black jack dealers have the rule hit on 16 stand on 17, very easy to follow the rule. But the player without the rules has to go by heart and that's a bit more tricky.
barnie.gif

If I thought I was truly committed to SFH, I would totally take him. I can see how SL adds interest to the flock... and therefor value.

Do you actually have a price in mind that you were considering?

Deciding who to keep or not when faults aren't involved is one of my more difficult tasks.

Faults make it easy. It's kinda like the black jack dealers have the rule hit on 16 stand on 17, very easy to follow the rule. But the player without the rules has to go by heart and that's a bit more tricky. :barnie

If I thought I was truly committed to SFH, I would totally take him. I can see how SL adds interest to the flock... and therefor value.
I believe I have decided on $35. He's sweet to everyone, nice to the girls so far. Just terrified of me. I figure his brother looks very similar and is just as friendly. Even learned within a week of trying to breed the hens that if he talks and shows them food that they will want to be around him instead of running.

If they have sprigs or split wing I just am like, darn, ok layer flock/freezer camp. I hate selling ones without a fault but I have to look at how many roosters I have vs. What I can realistically keep with the hens.

Last edited:
That sounds fair... especially beings you are NPIP.
thumbsup.gif

Mine faults do the same... layer flock or freezer camp. But since we just started processing our own, none have made it to the freezer. Somehow, I didn't realize it was OK to freeze a a fresh chicken.
roll.png
So we've been trying to use them up as we cull. I can't believe how long a fresh chicken stays "fresh" or safe! The stuff we got at the market always stunk within a matter of 2 days or so. We don't have the best practices. My 17 year old daughter does the processing (skins) after I dispatch. Then she rinses with (well) water and refrigerates to rest. No signs of disgustingness up to 2 weeks later.
ep.gif
No slimy feel or yucky smell other than the raw meet smell.
hu.gif
How bad must the ones from the market be?!
sickbyc.gif

Had chickens 5 years or so now. But this is my first year with a large (48 + or -) flock and with cockerels. It been a great experience and learning management has been a huge part of it. Still don't know what I can realistically keep. Have a first practice hatch in the brooder right now out of my laying flock with some flowers in there. But who knows what's fertile yet and all that good stuff. Preppin my breeding pen for flowers to move into before the end of this hatch, so I can start a specific flower hatch.

My crested boy (the last of his group) left the back of my calf burning yesterday. He was very friendly and hung on my lap when he was young. I turned around to see him standing there waiting to fight me. I think he's feeling cocky since all other boys were recently refrigerated.
hmm.png
None of his brothers ever made the stink eye at me though they did go after my dogs a couple times. But Ditto has tried to pull hens out of my lap. I think he might have gotten my k=leg before but felt like a brush and then he was standing there all innocently.

Oldest is now 25 days old, youngest is 22 days old
blue
white
white again
red
green
yellow
and this one just for fun.

Apparently I forgot to get pics of blue/white. Will do that tonight.

Back
Top Bottom