Sweet, predatorial neighbor dog

CrazyFaceFarms

In the Brooder
May 1, 2018
This is my first year with chickens.

I just got a very sobering call from my neighbor, who discovered that their dog had gotten a hold of at least 2 of my chickens. They are most definitely dead. I have one other chicken that may be alive, but I am out of the house until this afternoon, so I won't know until I get home.

We have been free ranging out chickens. They are/were about 4 months old. I've got a medium sized, secure co-op that we keep them in at night. I love having them roam all over the yard. I feel like they are happy and living "their best life". I have a dog myself, but he is super sweet and basically just sniffs the birds. We always knew that the neighbor's dog might be a problem, andand until todaythe dog and chickens had stayed in their respective fenced in yards.

I just don't know what to do. Am I going to be forced to build a run for them? Should I clip their wings? Can I free range them if I clip their wings? Would that even help?

I feel like such a bad chicken mama. Especially since I wasn't even there.

Unfortunately if your neighbor cannot keep their dog in, you will need to keep the dog out.

Yes people are supposed to keep their dogs on their own property and most areas have a "dog at large" law of some sort, but that doesn't mean everyone has a securely fenced yard or always has a dog on a leash.

Whether or not you are required to fence your chickens depends on your area/zoning/fence regulations/etc., but either way, it is your responsibility to keep them safe. A fence of some sort will be one more line of defense against other predators as well. It does not need to be a fancy, expensive, or complicated setup either. Just be sure to check with your building department if there are any requirements or permits needed for fence construction.

I've got pretty spectacular neighbors. It's actually one of the reasons we fell in love with the house.

Our chickens went into their yard. We have a 6 foot fence around the property, except for that one side, which is 4 ft. I think the chickens went over the wood pile looking for bugs.

So who breached the property line, the neighbor's dog or your chickens?

Regardless, yes you should put up a fence to keep them in. It is the only way to ensure their safety. I got to hand it to your neighbors, for calling you and admitting what happened. I don't think most neighbors would do that.

odd they made the attempt and went over the fence.

Sad though. Can't fault the dog this time for playing with squeak toys that come into their yard. Agree with above about a secure run for while you aren't home. Other critters will be next, if it hadn't been the dog.

"At large" Laws apply to roaming stock too. So if you're neighbors weren't as nice, they could bill you for chicken droppings and digging.

I agree with everyone. It was very nice of the neighbors to let you know what happened, so you aren't out there searching. Their yard, invaded by your birds, so no fault of theirs.
Build a secure run for them for days when you aren't out there, and reinforce your fencing for their 'free range' time.
Your chicks might have learned a valuable lesson today, and decline to invade their yard again. Or not. They will go there again, if it seems like a good idea at the time. And until today, they didn't fear the dog!
Consider electric fencing; Howard E has good suggestions, and Premier1supplies has excellent advice and products.
Predators are a constant problem, and there's a learning curve, for you and your birds.
So sorry for your losses!
Mary

I definitely agree with the suggestions on electric fencing.
We have 4’ chain link fence on part of our 1/2 acre yard.
My birds started going over it and we caught each bird in their run and clipped one wing on each.
Haven’t had a problem since!

I've got pretty spectacular neighbors. It's actually one of the reasons we fell in love with the house.

Our chickens went into their yard. We have a 6 foot fence around the property, except for that one side, which is 4 ft. I think the chickens went over the wood pile looking for bugs.

Since it was your birds that crossed the line, I would say clip one wing on each bird (only the tips of the feathers). This should tell them not to go over the fence, and you should only need to do it one time in their life. (as long as they have all their needs filled)
I wish I had neighbors like yours! Mine would have never said a word.
I free range every day all year long, and live with many predators.

Sorry for your loss. If you do find that you do have a remaining live bird, lock her up in her coop for now and maybe make a temporary run.

Your neighbour sounds great, and the fact that they called to inform you of the unfortunate situation shows that they're more than happy to support your wont for chooks. They may be open to splitting the bill to increase the 4ft fence to a 6ft fence, and if not, they'll surely be happy for you to do it on your own dime.

Moving forward, clip your remaining birds wing as suggested, and if you get others, do the same. Also, please keep in mind that other predators can get over fences, so best to keep your chooks in while you're away.

Back
Top Bottom