Swelling On Duck's Toe ~ PICTURE ~ URGENT

Help!!! Just reading your thread about treating bumbles with Iodine...does it need to be clear iodine (can I get it anywhere?) Also (and this is probably a stupid question) what kind of bedding do you use. I put Lucy, my khaki Campbell duck, in a dog crate with some fresh mowed grass since I read somewhere not to use straw.

Thanks,
Rodna

Help!!! Just reading your thread about treating bumbles with Iodine...does it need to be clear iodine (can I get it anywhere?) Also (and this is probably a stupid question) what kind of bedding do you use. I put Lucy, my khaki Campbell duck, in a dog crate with some fresh mowed grass since I read somewhere not to use straw.

Thanks,
Rodna

The decolorized seems to work better. I use pine shaving for all of my birds. Also, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

I put the iodine on and changed the bedding to pine shavings....next questions: how often do I apply the iodine? Do I need to keep putting the potato poultice on? Should I also keep soaking her foot in Epsom Salts? Also, do I just keep her in the crate so she's not using her foot a lot?

I do have a pen I move around on the grass for the baby duckies that is 10 x 10. I could put her out in the pen instead of just free ranging.

Rodna

I put the iodine on and changed the bedding to pine shavings....next questions: how often do I apply the iodine? Do I need to keep putting the potato poultice on? Should I also keep soaking her foot in Epsom Salts? Also, do I just keep her in the crate so she's not using her foot a lot?

I do have a pen I move around on the grass for the baby duckies that is 10 x 10. I could put her out in the pen instead of just free ranging.

Rodna
This is all I did...I let mine soak in a warm tub to clean and soften the skin, the first time, I just painted the bumble with the clear iodine. 3,4,5 days later go back and pull the scab clean out any of the hard puss you can see and then rinse with betadine and warm water, dry and then paint it again. You don't have to do this everyday and in fact it seems to be counter productive. this isn't fast, it's a slower but relatively painless process for the birds. Fast is cutting and even then I have read that some have to go back and do it again as they didn't get it all the first time.

I had some of mine inside in a dog crate and some out in their run. The ones outside took maybe a couple of weeks longer to heal completely. This is your choice. the cleaner the better of course and when you pull the scab and clean it out, you will want to make sure the bird is on 'clean' for a few hours until the body has started forming another scab.

For what? Sharing? Lol, Mom taught me it was the right and only thing to do, lol.

Yer a good kid, H!
lol.png

Lucy's foot doesn't seem to be improving. I've been putting the iodine on every 2 days. Here are pics from today. Should I just continue with the iodine or do I need to do something more?

I think there is something in there. The center of the most swollen spot on top of the toe looks like it may be there. I think that needs to be drawn out somehow.

Back
Top Bottom