For what it is worth, mycoplasma synovitis (MS) is a bacterial infection, not a virus. I don’t think that this looks like it, but I could be wrong. MS usually affects both ankles and hock joints causing swelling and infection of the joints.

Sorry about that misinformation. My brain misfired and I was confusing MG with infectious bronchitis virus in my memory, which isn't all that trustworthy these days.

It looks more like an infection from something possibly piercing the footpad. A thorn, splinter, or other sharp object could be inside. I would soak the foot in warm water with the Epsom salt for 15-20 minutes. Then you can take betadine (povidone iodine and sugar, and mix into a paste and put it on the footpad, and apply a dressing. Change it every other day and reapply to betadine/sugar mixture. Betadine is sold in feed stores, pharmacies, and Walmart has a generic version called Equate First
Aid Antiseptic in the bandaid, first aid aisle.

For what it is worth, mycoplasma synovitis (MS) is a bacterial infection, not a virus. I don’t think that this looks like it, but I could be wrong. MS usually affects both ankles and hock joints causing swelling and infection of the joints.
Agreed. Looks like the foot pad may have been punctured.

"Bumblefoot" is basically from staph bacteria entering the chicken's system through a cut, scratch, puncture, injury or chafed and irritated area of the foot. It can present on top of the foot as well as the bottom. It does not always present as a classic black scab, it can just be a swelling of the foot.

1619406741489.png

Agreed. Looks like the foot pad may have been punctured.

"Bumblefoot" is basically from staph bacteria entering the chicken's system through a cut, scratch, puncture, injury or chafed and irritated area of the foot. It can present on top of the foot as well as the bottom. It does not always present as a classic black scab, it can just be a swelling of the foot.

View attachment 2635631
I've heard this to, that bumble foot isn't always presented in a scab, that something can be deeper sometimes. Looking at were you zoomed in on the picture, it sure does look like a puncture.

Back
Top Bottom