Apr 6, 2018
Hello! I feel absolutely terrible about how long it’s taken me to notice this, but one of my chickens has very bad swelling on one of her feet. However I do not see any scab that might indicate bumblefoot, only a small indentation in one area- does anyone have any ideas of what it might be ? She doesn’t seem to limp on it at all and is otherwise healthy but I am very worried.

Attachments

• A6E18E4D-F782-4C7C-864C-EC1DC0E19B1C.jpeg
    A6E18E4D-F782-4C7C-864C-EC1DC0E19B1C.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 52
It looks more like an infection from something possibly piercing the footpad. A thorn, splinter, or other sharp object could be inside. I would soak the foot in warm water with the Epsom salt for 15-20 minutes. Then you can take betadine (povidone iodine and sugar, and mix into a paste and put it on the footpad, and apply a dressing. Change it every other day and reapply to betadine/sugar mixture. Betadine is sold in feed stores, pharmacies, and Walmart has a generic version called Equate First
Aid Antiseptic in the bandaid, first aid aisle.

For what it is worth, mycoplasma synovitis (MS) is a bacterial infection, not a virus. I don’t think that this looks like it, but I could be wrong. MS usually affects both ankles and hock joints causing swelling and infection of the joints.

It looks more like an infection from something possibly piercing the footpad. A thorn, splinter, or other sharp object could be inside. I would soak the foot in warm water with the Epsom salt for 15-20 minutes. Then you can take betadine (povidone iodine and sugar, and mix into a paste and put it on the footpad, and apply a dressing. Change it every other day and reapply to betadine/sugar mixture. Betadine is sold in feed stores, pharmacies, and Walmart has a generic version called Equate First
Aid Antiseptic in the bandaid, first aid aisle.

For what it is worth, mycoplasma synovitis (MS) is a bacterial infection, not a virus. I don’t think that this looks like it, but I could be wrong. MS usually affects both ankles and hock joints causing swelling and infection of the joints.
Agreed. Looks like the foot pad may have been punctured.

"Bumblefoot" is basically from staph bacteria entering the chicken's system through a cut, scratch, puncture, injury or chafed and irritated area of the foot. It can present on top of the foot as well as the bottom. It does not always present as a classic black scab, it can just be a swelling of the foot.

1619406741489.png

Agreed. Looks like the foot pad may have been punctured.

"Bumblefoot" is basically from staph bacteria entering the chicken's system through a cut, scratch, puncture, injury or chafed and irritated area of the foot. It can present on top of the foot as well as the bottom. It does not always present as a classic black scab, it can just be a swelling of the foot.

View attachment 2635631
I've heard this to, that bumble foot isn't always presented in a scab, that something can be deeper sometimes. Looking at were you zoomed in on the picture, it sure does look like a puncture.

Has this chicken had an mild respiratory symptoms over the past few weeks or so? If so, it may be Mycoplasma synoviae. It's a corona virus sort of like Covid 19, where the real damage occurs in the internal organs. One of the symptoms is swelling in the lower legs and feet. You would need an antibiotic to treat it, but you can relieve the fluid buildup by draining that swollen foot. If you lance it, and watery fluid leaks out, it's not bumblefoot.
I have not noticed any respiratory symptoms, but I will start keeping a closer eye out for that. I am going to lance the foot tomorrow, I will update you then! Thank you so much.

I believe bumble foot usually presents itself with a black scab, I can see a dark spot but it doesn’t really look black or like it is a scab from the picture.

Does the swelling have any heat to it and does she act like it’s sore? And have you done any thing for it or for the chicken yet?
The swelling does not seem to have any heat, and she is walking on it completely normally. I only noticed it as I was treating her for another minor injury. I gave it an Epsom salt soak, sprayed the foot with vetercyn spray, and wrapped it with gauze to keep it clean. I am going to try and lance it and drain any fluid tomorrow.

Sorry about that misinformation. My brain misfired and I was confusing MG with infectious bronchitis virus in my memory, which isn't all that trustworthy these days.

Has this chicken had an mild respiratory symptoms over the past few weeks or so? If so, it may be Mycoplasma synoviae. It's a corona virus sort of like Covid 19, where the real damage occurs in the internal organs. One of the symptoms is swelling in the lower legs and feet. You would need an antibiotic to treat it, but you can relieve the fluid buildup by draining that swollen foot. If you lance it, and watery fluid leaks out, it's not bumblefoot.

Back
Top Bottom