Pics

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys!
Awhile ago, I started a thread on a possible food allergy for our 5 year old, Yellow Lab Comet. Since then, we have switched kibbles to try and find a possible allergen, and started him on equine glucosamine for possible joint issues. I have also really wanted to switch him to a fresh food diet. The rest of the family is hesitant because it would be twice as much as kibble. I have read them articles on the issues with highly process kibble, and am throughly convinced myself that fresh diet will be better for him. My mom is 50/50, but my dad would rather me cook him his own food using the leftovers from animals we hunt, and animal proteins we can get from the store to feed him fresh. So, I've taken up the task.
I don't want to use chicken as animal protein, since I think it may be an allergen. My dad fishes and hunts deer in the hunting season, so any animal protein we can use from that would be great. If we have to buy turkey, or other animal protein after that, we can do that as well. I plan on looking at the vegetables and fruits that were included in the custom diet that Ollie set up, and pick 2-3 of those to add to the animal protein. So really try to recreate what Ollie setup for us.
for vitamins and minerals, I will probably just pick a 5-8 in one vitamin from Amazon or Chewy, so if someone has a brand or supplement like that to suggest, please do.
Then, I plan to look at articles made my veterinarians on what percentages of his diet should be made up of what, and try to apply that to what I end up making. We still have a bag of kibble to use up, so I have time to get his recipe together. Any suggestions are welcome.
My biggest concern would be not including enough vitamin and minerals in his diet, and causing more harm then a processed kibble would. I would preferably get the veterinarian made fresh food from Ollie, who uses human grade products, nothing artificial, and other natural ingredients for the food, but, my parents are convinced that even if cooking it ourselves i more expensive, thats the better option. I don't know why, I think they think I'll back out because its to much work, but I'm pretty determined to get him off kibble after reading this article. Thanks guys for any suggestions!

Yes, seems like a good idea. If you get a suppliment, you should be fine.

they also sell human grade cooked food for dogs, I can think of Stella and Chewys at the top of my head as far as brands go. That way you know your dog is getting everything because there are requirements for foods to be on the shelves.

Have you thought of a raw diet rather than a cooked diet? its easier than you think. You just need organ, muscle, bone, egg, fruits and veggies, and a dairy. Lots of the parts that the dogs eat, like bones, organ, muscle, etc is parts of the animal that humans don't eat, and they are usually very cheap.

they also sell human grade cooked food for dogs, I can think of Stella and Chewys at the top of my head as far as brands go. That way you know your dog is getting everything because there are requirements for foods to be on the shelves.
I explain that this is what I wanted to do, but my parents would rather me cook it myself for some reason. I want to try and recreate the recipe Ollie suggested for me for Comets custom plan. Thanks!

Yea, chicken is actually a pretty common allergy in dogs, there is a whole horse feed company called crypto aero. They make whole food horse feed, human grade, hardly any processing. They also make a dog food topper that might work well to provide missing vitamins and minerals. It’s ingredients also will help support his immune system. It is a bit pricey, but it is a topper so it should last a bit.
Here’s the product page

https://cryptoaero.com/product/crypto-aero-canine/

Yes, seems like a good idea. If you get a suppliment, you should be fine.

Have you thought of a raw diet rather than a cooked diet? its easier than you think. You just need organ, muscle, bone, egg, fruits and veggies, and a dairy. Lots of the parts that the dogs eat, like bones, organ, muscle, etc is parts of the animal that humans don't eat, and they are usually very cheap.
Either raw or cooked would work. As long as he get proper nutrients and we can hopefully use organ meat and unused animal products from the deer we kill ever year, that will be a win win. Thanks for your time and suggestions! :D

Either raw or cooked would work. As long as he get proper nutrients and we can hopefully use organ meat and unused animal products from the deer we kill ever year, that will be a win win. Thanks for your time and suggestions! :D

leftover deer meat would be perfect, If you go to a butcher shop they'll also usually give you the stuff they are gonna throw away for free or cheap, too.

Yea, chicken is actually a pretty common allergy in dogs, there is a whole horse feed company called crypto aero. They make whole food horse feed, human grade, hardly any processing. They also make a dog food topper that might work well to provide missing vitamins and minerals. It’s ingredients also will help support his immune system. It is a bit pricey, but it is a topper so it should last a bit.
Here’s the product page

https://cryptoaero.com/product/crypto-aero-canine/
Thank you! The only issue with this, is that even thought I would rather buy a fresh food from a company that is hum grade and made by veterinarians, my parents would rather me make it myself.
I think they think I will back out because of the all the work, but I'm pretty determined. I will use that page and take some of the ingredients from their recipes and use them as inspiration for his raw/cooked diet. Thanks for the link!

good luck. My parents hate spending money on dog food. they are on the worst quality food ever, my dad complains about how gassy they are, and when I tell him its probably the dog food, he yells at me.. anyways, I'd really like to feed raw or a high quality kibble. Be glad your parents are allowing you to :)

There are a lot of raw pet food stores that sell pre made raw here in Washington. Northwest Naturals works WONDERS for our Dogo with allergies to everything known to man. She not allergic to raw chicken though.

A lot of the Asian Markets have the best prices for meat I’ve seen so far. Here’s a peek of a two hour long prep session I used to do twice a month.

9BE8AA68-6378-48F1-9C5D-255CAFAD836B.jpeg

897D011C-1E5D-4FDC-AC1A-4598C2E89469.jpeg

I’ve been feeding raw for 8 years and will NEVER go back to kibble. For any reason. Since moving to property, our time is limited so have switched to pre made raw and add filler meats to stretch it out. Lots of raw eggs and shells, cheap stew meats, venison etc. mix it up and perps will love you forever.

Cooking isn’t necessary, as they’re designed to consume raw meats. But if it keeps the perps from eating kibble then bring on the home cooked meals!

Back
Top Bottom