Pics

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys!
Awhile ago, I started a thread on a possible food allergy for our 5 year old, Yellow Lab Comet. Since then, we have switched kibbles to try and find a possible allergen, and started him on equine glucosamine for possible joint issues. I have also really wanted to switch him to a fresh food diet. The rest of the family is hesitant because it would be twice as much as kibble. I have read them articles on the issues with highly process kibble, and am throughly convinced myself that fresh diet will be better for him. My mom is 50/50, but my dad would rather me cook him his own food using the leftovers from animals we hunt, and animal proteins we can get from the store to feed him fresh. So, I've taken up the task.
I don't want to use chicken as animal protein, since I think it may be an allergen. My dad fishes and hunts deer in the hunting season, so any animal protein we can use from that would be great. If we have to buy turkey, or other animal protein after that, we can do that as well. I plan on looking at the vegetables and fruits that were included in the custom diet that Ollie set up, and pick 2-3 of those to add to the animal protein. So really try to recreate what Ollie setup for us.
for vitamins and minerals, I will probably just pick a 5-8 in one vitamin from Amazon or Chewy, so if someone has a brand or supplement like that to suggest, please do.
Then, I plan to look at articles made my veterinarians on what percentages of his diet should be made up of what, and try to apply that to what I end up making. We still have a bag of kibble to use up, so I have time to get his recipe together. Any suggestions are welcome.
My biggest concern would be not including enough vitamin and minerals in his diet, and causing more harm then a processed kibble would. I would preferably get the veterinarian made fresh food from Ollie, who uses human grade products, nothing artificial, and other natural ingredients for the food, but, my parents are convinced that even if cooking it ourselves i more expensive, thats the better option. I don't know why, I think they think I'll back out because its to much work, but I'm pretty determined to get him off kibble after reading this article. Thanks guys for any suggestions!

Yea, chicken is actually a pretty common allergy in dogs, there is a whole horse feed company called crypto aero. They make whole food horse feed, human grade, hardly any processing. They also make a dog food topper that might work well to provide missing vitamins and minerals. It’s ingredients also will help support his immune system. It is a bit pricey, but it is a topper so it should last a bit.
Here’s the product page

https://cryptoaero.com/product/crypto-aero-canine/

There are a lot of raw pet food stores that sell pre made raw here in Washington. Northwest Naturals works WONDERS for our Dogo with allergies to everything known to man. She not allergic to raw chicken though.

A lot of the Asian Markets have the best prices for meat I’ve seen so far. Here’s a peek of a two hour long prep session I used to do twice a month.

9BE8AA68-6378-48F1-9C5D-255CAFAD836B.jpeg

897D011C-1E5D-4FDC-AC1A-4598C2E89469.jpeg

I’ve been feeding raw for 8 years and will NEVER go back to kibble. For any reason. Since moving to property, our time is limited so have switched to pre made raw and add filler meats to stretch it out. Lots of raw eggs and shells, cheap stew meats, venison etc. mix it up and perps will love you forever.

Cooking isn’t necessary, as they’re designed to consume raw meats. But if it keeps the perps from eating kibble then bring on the home cooked meals!

Raw is more nutritionally sound for your dog, frozen even in the heat of summer can make for a tasty treat and meal at the same time. Don't shy away from the organ meat and raw meaty bones as well, as these contain loads of nutrition.
Using the search engine of your choice, look up 'B.A.R.F.' programs; Biologically Appropriate Raw Food programs for your dog. This system of raw feeding attempts to recreate what dogs were genetically designed to consume and in what proportions.

they also sell human grade cooked food for dogs, I can think of Stella and Chewys at the top of my head as far as brands go. That way you know your dog is getting everything because there are requirements for foods to be on the shelves.
I explain that this is what I wanted to do, but my parents would rather me cook it myself for some reason. I want to try and recreate the recipe Ollie suggested for me for Comets custom plan. Thanks!

What do you do when you go out of town, etc? Do you bring the raw with you? how do you keep it cool?
Normally it’s only our miniature Dachshund that goes camping with us. The big dogs stay home with one of the kids. We pack a cooler or stick it in the freezer in the camper. His food consists of pretty much nothing compared to the Mastiffs lol

https://nw-naturals.net/products/

I had a lab/shepherd mix for 12 years, he had to be put down due to old age. He couldn’t see and couldn’t get up anymore. He was on some of the “best” kibble there was to control his sores that would break out constantly. It never worked. His immune system was worn out from fighting constantly. During the last few years of his life I finally figured out what was wrong... it was the food. The burned, greasy, supposedly healthy kibble he was eating.

In a matter of weeks of switching to premade raw (all I knew to feed at the time other than kibble) his sores disappeared. He had more energy and didn’t stink. So after 9 years of feeding him kibble, he was finally able to be comfortable in the last 3 years of his life. Since that switch to raw, I won’t go back.

I used to be a raw feeding advocate and would spew large amounts of raw feeding stories and advice to people, then it hit me that no one cares. So our dogs are fed raw and I don’t say anything else anymore. So when someone asks what I feed them I just tell them raw and leave it at that. Only the ones who truly want to make a change for their animal will ask how to do it. Good on @Weeg for preparing for the change in the right direction.

It’s tough if you’re not the soul carer or the financially responsible one for the animal. And sometimes parents and adults in general are so stuck in their ways and won’t try something else to better the animals health. Especially if they are advised from a traditional vet that raw is unhealthy.

I can tell you from years of personal experience that raw is better. Just make absolute sure to add in all the proper organ meats to have a balanced diet.

On raw they consume so much hydrated meats/proteins, it keeps them lean and their poops small. Their poop will start to “melt” away in the yard if it’s left out in the rain. A kibble fed dogs poop will sit for what seems like forever. Imagine how their poor guts feel!

When I refer to raw, I’m including home cooked meals for animals as part of it.

Just don’t mix kibble and raw/cooked meats regularly. Kibble digests differently than raw. So if you’re going to make the switch, just do it right after the bag is gone. I know everyone says to do a slow transition. But it’s not needed. I’ve switched 6 dogs diets to raw without transitioning slowly with zero ill effects.

Raw is more nutritionally sound for your dog, frozen even in the heat of summer can make for a tasty treat and meal at the same time. Don't shy away from the organ meat and raw meaty bones as well, as these contain loads of nutrition.
Using the search engine of your choice, look up 'B.A.R.F.' programs; Biologically Appropriate Raw Food programs for your dog. This system of raw feeding attempts to recreate what dogs were genetically designed to consume and in what proportions.
Yes on bones! You reminded me of soup bones as well and something we give to the dogs often. They’re cheap healthy snacks and will keep them busy for a bit. We have a 15 year old lab/pit bull mix that has teeth of a 5 year old dog. Never has she had her teeth cleaned. Soup bones do it.

Just never heated/cooked. It changes the structure of the bones and causes them to splinter. That’s when it can cause damage to the dog. Raw bones are fine.

Hey guys!
Awhile ago, I started a thread on a possible food allergy for our 5 year old, Yellow Lab Comet. Since then, we have switched kibbles to try and find a possible allergen, and started him on equine glucosamine for possible joint issues. I have also really wanted to switch him to a fresh food diet. The rest of the family is hesitant because it would be twice as much as kibble. I have read them articles on the issues with highly process kibble, and am throughly convinced myself that fresh diet will be better for him. My mom is 50/50, but my dad would rather me cook him his own food using the leftovers from animals we hunt, and animal proteins we can get from the store to feed him fresh. So, I've taken up the task.
I don't want to use chicken as animal protein, since I think it may be an allergen. My dad fishes and hunts deer in the hunting season, so any animal protein we can use from that would be great. If we have to buy turkey, or other animal protein after that, we can do that as well. I plan on looking at the vegetables and fruits that were included in the custom diet that Ollie set up, and pick 2-3 of those to add to the animal protein. So really try to recreate what Ollie setup for us.
for vitamins and minerals, I will probably just pick a 5-8 in one vitamin from Amazon or Chewy, so if someone has a brand or supplement like that to suggest, please do.
Then, I plan to look at articles made my veterinarians on what percentages of his diet should be made up of what, and try to apply that to what I end up making. We still have a bag of kibble to use up, so I have time to get his recipe together. Any suggestions are welcome.
My biggest concern would be not including enough vitamin and minerals in his diet, and causing more harm then a processed kibble would. I would preferably get the veterinarian made fresh food from Ollie, who uses human grade products, nothing artificial, and other natural ingredients for the food, but, my parents are convinced that even if cooking it ourselves i more expensive, thats the better option. I don't know why, I think they think I'll back out because its to much work, but I'm pretty determined to get him off kibble after reading this article. Thanks guys for any suggestions!
Hi, I'm stumbling in late to this conversation, but to get an idea of percentages, RDA, etc., you might look at Honest Kitchen. Several yrs ago, our boy had a seizure,they cldnt fig out why, labs were fine. W/o going into gory details, his condition worsened & he died. He was old - it wasn't that death had come, it was how horrid it was. When we got a new pup, w/i months, he started having the same symptoms. He was dx by a different vet w/hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, and his labs weren't good at all.
The vet was skeptical that there was a correlation- different breeds,different ages, but same symptoms, except I didn't witness a seizure this time.
The only similarity was the brand of food I was using, which was a well rated kibble. He had to have a bland diet for months consisting of cooked chicken.
Story shortened, we switched to HK, & that "puppy" is now at the old age of his predecessor & still going like the puppy he was w/no further issues.
When we crossed over, we used the base mix mixed w/the cooked chicken he was already getting, and have stuck w/it since then.
Since it's made of accessible ingredients that are dehydrated, you shldnt have much problem replicating the nutrients. We've adopted more dogs since, including one going through HW tx, and they all get the same thing. - I cook a lot of chicken.😆 But we couldn't be more satisfied w/the results.

Back
Top Bottom