Switching our dog to a homemade diet

I'm so sorry, that sucks. I wish there was a way I could help, or a way to suggest a solution, but I'm stumped. Other then finding a way to make some money for better food, I can't think of anything. I'm sorry, other BYC members may have ideas, try making a thread about it and see what people say. Kids make, "convincing there parents to get chickens" threads all the time, I bet this wont be much different. 🤷‍♀️
Yeah, sadly my dogs eat pedigree. One of the dogs is fine, but the other stinks, has awful gas, and his skin and coat is god awful. My dad will literally scream at me if I suggest a different food. I've tried convincing him every which way, and my dog is 53 lbs and eats 1 1/2 cups of food, I don't have a job or any income, so I cannot afford to feed him. Sigh.

Willing to try again though. Best thing I can do is suggest a bagged dog food, he will not allow me to feed raw. Any ideas? I'll email him my thoughts.
I like Canidea. Its a healthier food, not as good as raw but pretty good for kibble. Its not all natural or Organic, but its still pretty good. Its WAY better then Pedigree thats for sure, so it will be better then nothing.
Its also not to much more expensive then the Iam's we were feeding, so shouldn't be to hard to convince him. Hope that helps!

Raw is more nutritionally sound for your dog, frozen even in the heat of summer can make for a tasty treat and meal at the same time. Don't shy away from the organ meat and raw meaty bones as well, as these contain loads of nutrition.
Using the search engine of your choice, look up 'B.A.R.F.' programs; Biologically Appropriate Raw Food programs for your dog. This system of raw feeding attempts to recreate what dogs were genetically designed to consume and in what proportions.

I have a 53 lb dog, and a 100 lb dog. Do they eat less since its raw?

ehh I googled it and its way over budget. i think the cheapest I can suggest is 40 dollars.
Oooooor. Look up fresh dog food on google. I like Ollie best. Its WAY more expensive then Pedigree, and the food we're feeding now, but, maybe you could convince him. Spot and Tango makes and Unkibble, which is dehydrated veggies, vitamins and animal proteins, so its the the healthiest kibble I've ever seen. That brand also makes fresh option so thats an option to. You can also do fresh kibble toppers with Spot and Tango, then use Canidea for the main food, but the fresh kibble topper for the health benefits.
I can get links to if you need them. :D

Raw is more nutritionally sound for your dog, frozen even in the heat of summer can make for a tasty treat and meal at the same time. Don't shy away from the organ meat and raw meaty bones as well, as these contain loads of nutrition.
Using the search engine of your choice, look up 'B.A.R.F.' programs; Biologically Appropriate Raw Food programs for your dog. This system of raw feeding attempts to recreate what dogs were genetically designed to consume and in what proportions.
Thank you! I'm not to afraid of organ meat lol! I know I would get used to it eventually, and handling it can't be much worse the seeing the skinned deer handing in out shop lol! I actually ordered a book that was suggested on my old thread for his food allergy. Its called, "Raw and Natural Nutrition for dogs, the definite guide to homemade meals" Its written by Lew Olson, so I'll use that as a guide along with B.A.R.F. Thanks again!

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you don't have to do anythgin special with the meat. I'm stocked! Next time we get a deer, we can use all the organs and meat we usually throw away, and give it to Comet. Perfect!
Until then, I'll work on the local butcher for leftover scraps they don't want, and we can use that. Maybe we could even raise something for him, were doing Cornish X right now, (not gonna use that because of the chicken allergy) but maybe we could do Turkeys or something.
Otherwise, with the raw diet for your dog, do you feed veggies and vitamins? I think I will, I know Broccoli and Spinach is good for them, I also want to do sweet potatoes for easy digestion. Thanks for taking the time to write and help out!
Venison is fantastic! Any meats you can get your hands on from hunters is the best. This does also include fish. People fish and freeze their catches all the time, but never eat it. Let everyone know that you are interested in their freezer meats they’re going to toss. Free meat and still way better for the dog than kibble.

If it’s possible, let wildlife officials know you’ll take their deer/elk road kill if they call you. If your parents are up for it, you can get several deer or elk a year this way. People hit them, kill them and don’t know that they can take them home :)

I don’t currently add anything to their raw, as now most of their diet is Northwest Naturals plus filler meats. So it already contains the proper vitamins and minerals. When I made their food, I added a “topper” like someone else had mentioned and also maintained the proper percentages of organs. I checked that link out and it does look like a good additive. So you wouldn’t need to purchase many more vitamins to fill the void.

Venison is fantastic! Any meats you can get your hands on from hunters is the best. This does also include fish. People fish and freeze their catches all the time, but never eat it. Let everyone know that you are interested in their freezer meats they’re going to toss. Free meat and still way better for the dog than kibble.
We hunt and fish, we get a hell bunch of fish in the fishing season to, which is opening soon. Surly we will have enough to give to him, and Salmon is also good for easy digestion. We have plenty of meat to get out hands on, and once we are abel to to deer again, I bet the tossing meat from that will likely last most of the year.
I'm very excited for this transition!

If it’s possible, let wildlife officials know you’ll take their deer/elk road kill if they call you. If your parents are up for it, you can get several deer or elk a year this way. People hit them, kill them and don’t know that they can take them home :)
Thats a good idea, at least until were allowed to hunt again. Since deer season is over, we'll need some meat income for the rest of the season, but we will have the option for fish here soon. One road kill would get us a long way.

I don’t currently add anything to their raw, as now most of their diet is Northwest Naturals plus filler meats. So it already contains the proper vitamins and minerals. When I made their food, I added a “topper” like someone else had mentioned and also maintained the proper percentages of organs. I checked that link out and it does look like a good additive. So you wouldn’t need to purchase many more vitamins to fill the void.
Got it, if I could get them to buy a fresh/raw food I would, but thats the issue. I would buy raw/fresh, but they don't want to purchase it. So if I am making the entire diet, I'm assuming I'll have to add veggies, and a multivitamin to the diet.

Yes on bones! You reminded me of soup bones as well and something we give to the dogs often. They’re cheap healthy snacks and will keep them busy for a bit. We have a 15 year old lab/pit bull mix that has teeth of a 5 year old dog. Never has she had her teeth cleaned. Soup bones do it.

Just never heated/cooked. It changes the structure of the bones and causes them to splinter. That’s when it can cause damage to the dog. Raw bones are fine.

Back
Top Bottom