May 29, 2019
Hello,

Our hens are going on 5 months old. We recently started mixing layer feed (Nature's Best Organic Crumbles) into our starter/grower feed because a few of the hens were showing signs that they'd be laying soon (squatting and getting really big, red combs and wattles). Sure enough, we officially had our first egg today from our RIR. :yaIt was small but mighty, and a beautiful speckled brown!

However, because we have a mixed flock, they are all maturing at very different rates. I'm worried about not getting enough layer feed to the hens who have started (or who will soon be) laying, and I'm also worried about our less mature girls having layer feed since they're not quite at that point yet.

Any insights on this? Right now they are ALL eating a 50/50 blend supplemented with oyster shells, free choice.

Thank you!

As long as they have the oyster shell on the side your layers are likely getting all they need. “Layer” feed is not a necessity. I would keep feeding them all the grower (most of your girls probably aren’t fully grown yet anyway) with the oyster shell on the side. Once they are ALL laying, you can switch or layer (or all flock) feed.

As long as they have the oyster shell on the side your layers are likely getting all they need. “Layer” feed is not a necessity. I would keep feeding them all the grower (most of your girls probably aren’t fully grown yet anyway) with the oyster shell on the side. Once they are ALL laying, you can switch or layer (or all flock) feed.
Thank you!

I never feed layer. It's a misconception it's a necessity. Your hens do need free access to oyster shells once they start laying.

I don’t ever feed layer feed myself. If the OP has both grower and layer on hand though, I’d feed it until I ran out and probably switch to an all flock if the closest feed store carries one ;)

Back
Top Bottom