Swollen Hen

Hbalangue

Chirping
Dec 12, 2020
Porterville, Ca
Hello All, I went out to my chicken coop this morning to feed my hens and found this gal, Becky, with a swollen face. A few weeks back she had suffered a stuck egg, but was unfortunately never the same since. None of my other hens are sick but I did separate her, gave her a dose of vitamins. But I am at a loss, TSC is out of anything that would help her in the antibiotic department. Any advice?

Attachments

• 82711B72-A3CE-45B9-AFF0-8B7125315D55.jpeg
    82711B72-A3CE-45B9-AFF0-8B7125315D55.jpeg
    649.6 KB · Views: 13
Hello All, I went out to my chicken coop this morning to feed my hens and found this gal, Becky, with a swollen face. A few weeks back she had suffered a stuck egg, but was unfortunately never the same since. None of my other hens are sick but I did separate her, gave her a dose of vitamins. But I am at a loss, TSC is out of anything that would help her in the antibiotic department. Any advice?
With all the swelling, & mucus coming from her nostrils, I'd it might be MG.

@Eggcessive

Do you notice a bad rotten odor coming from her beak and face? A respiratory disease with swollen sinuses and face could be mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. A bad odor with thick nasal secretions leans more toward coryza. Testing would be best to get a diagnosis. Antibiotics may help treat symptoms depending on what disease it is. Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline are common ones used to treat MG. Coryza is best treated with sulfa antibiotics, such as Bactrim or sulfadimethoxine and others. Is a vet visit possible?

Do you notice a bad rotten odor coming from her beak and face? A respiratory disease with swollen sinuses and face could be mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. A bad odor with thick nasal secretions leans more toward coryza. Testing would be best to get a diagnosis. Antibiotics may help treat symptoms depending on what disease it is. Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline are common ones used to treat MG. Coryza is best treated with sulfa antibiotics, such as Bactrim or sulfadimethoxine and others. Is a vet visit possible?

No weird smell 🥺. I did give her some benedryl and she opened her eyes and seems to be in better spirits, the swelling on the faces gone done as well. There’s not any nasal secretions at all but when she is breathing she is rattling. I almost think she may got into something she doesn’t agree with, but I’m really not sure. A vet visit is not possible in my area right now, sadly.

I made her a mixture of honey mixed with some turmeric, I’m not sure about needing a prescription but everything at TSC is sold out in Tulare county. I could have shipped but it would take two weeks

Back
Top Bottom