swollen, watery eye on 6 month old chicken

quad1993

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 2, 2013
I recently purchased 6 hens from a local farm. 2 R.I.R's and 4 Red Stars. After a few days I noticed that one of the Red Stars had her eye closed often. Otherwise she appeared normal. Eating, drinking and scratching like the rest. She would just sleep more often then the rest. I assumed this was from the stress of re-homing. Today (about a week later) one of the Rhode Island Reds had two swollen eyes and they were watery. This particular hen was the most dominant hen so far and today she was off in the corner. She doesn't appear lethargic yet and she drank water when i put her in front of it. I separated her and treated with VetRX. The other hen never progressed to this level. She just had one eye closed every once in a while.

Here are a couple pictures. Any input would be great!

IMG_1914.JPG
IMG_1916.JPG

I recently purchased 6 hens from a local farm. 2 R.I.R's and 4 Red Stars. After a few days I noticed that one of the Red Stars had her eye closed often. Otherwise she appeared normal. Eating, drinking and scratching like the rest. She would just sleep more often then the rest. I assumed this was from the stress of re-homing. Today (about a week later) one of the Rhode Island Reds had two swollen eyes and they were watery. This particular hen was the most dominant hen so far and today she was off in the corner. She doesn't appear lethargic yet and she drank water when i put her in front of it. I separated her and treated with VetRX. The other hen never progressed to this level. She just had one eye closed every once in a while.

Here are a couple pictures. Any input would be great!

View attachment 550319 View attachment 550320

You'll probably get better advice from someone with more experience but until then, I recommend washing the eyes out with saline solution (just the salt + water kind, NOT the multi purpose contact solution) and dab some polysporin in her eyes. I've had a couple of pullets who had this problem and after treating them like this for about 3 days they both made full recoveries. Like I said, this might help her out until someone more knowledgeable weighs in.

Thank you for the reply. Any information can help.

This hen has also developed a gurgle when breathing.

Back
Top Bottom