Take a guess please....

I wondered if the rough feathers might be molting? If I just saw the pictures with no age attached, I'd say 10-12 week cockerel. The only thing making me think pullet is the stated age.

And now that it's pointed out, I see the skin color is wrong for Cochin, too.

Have you contacted the breeder? Do they have Marans or Langshans?

I agree. It's screaming cockerel to me.

Young birds do go through many little molts... that is why for ducks it is suggested that you process at 3 very specific ages (sorry I don't remember the exact # of weeks) when they won't have the pin feathers which are very difficult to pluck.

Still... brings the breeder into question! :old Make the call and ask... inquiring minds wanna know. :D

Compared to the langshan pic you posted, your girl has a much larger comb. But different breeders select for different traits and comb size and appearance from different lines will surely have differences even from the same breed and among the same line. Most lines I know of are still a work in progress... as is the fun of breeding birds. :pop

I wondered if the rough feathers might be molting? If I just saw the pictures with no age attached, I'd say 10-12 week cockerel. The only thing making me think pullet is the stated age.

And now that it's pointed out, I see the skin color is wrong for Cochin, too.

Have you contacted the breeder? Do they have Marans or Langshans?

They have clean legged Marans. Croad Langshan, and Cochin, Brahma and Faverolles are their feather footed breeds. They don't so Silkies.
They have a huge huge farm area and I seen their breeding areas, wasn't allowed to go in but could look from outside. Each breed has their own barn and big run area enclosed top, sides and bottom. They hatch eggs in a totally different area and I wouldn't doubt there could be egg mix ups.

That has to be a pullet but I am no expert! And I am sure people will disagree but that looks like a silkie cross. I have two silkie/Rhode island red chicks (they are gorgeous:love) and they have the feather feet . Their body feathers are normal though . It's looks identical to one of my chicks , color and feathers .
Lets see your pretty silkie crosses!!!

They have clean legged Marans. Croad Langshan, and Cochin, Brahma and Faverolles are their feather footed breeds. They don't so Silkies.
They have a huge huge farm area and I seen their breeding areas, wasn't allowed to go in but could look from outside. Each breed has their own barn and big run area enclosed top, sides and bottom. They hatch eggs in a totally different area and I wouldn't doubt there could be egg mix ups.

Ah yes, mix ups are so easy in the incubator or during hatch. Honest mistakes DO happen.

My guess is you probably DID get a mix up, but not a Cochin.

Hey sometimes unexpected breeds can be a great surprise! You might find you liked a bird you didn't expect to!
Yeah!

The age is what makes it confusing. Doesn't look like 16 weeks old and it does look like a cockerel, maybe 12 weeks.

The age is WHAT makes me SURE of gender! :lau

Back
Top Bottom