Taking chicks out of the bator with eggs still incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kevs-chickadees, Sep 21, 2011.

1. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    I am getting mixed answers so I thought I would see what the experts had to say. I had 3 chicks hatch out a day early and I believe one can leave them in the incubator for up to 24 hours? Well it's getting close to a day later since they hatched so I am wondering if the other eggs have not pipped yet is it safe to move the chicks to the brooder without causing any shrink wrapping?

2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I did when mine hatched. Another 4 hatched after that. I don't see the problem if the other eggs haven't pipped. If you're quick about it I can't imagine the humidity going down to 'dangerous' levels.
    Oops. I'm not an expert though.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    We often do take chicks out as long as none of the others have pipped with no issues....

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I remove mine when they are dry and fluffy and active. Just do it quickly and at once. If you have multiple chicks to remove, employ a set of helping hands. "OK, I'm going for the one on bottom right and you grab the two over there..." kinda thing. They'll be fine.

5. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    Thanks everyone! We kinda did a firemans bucket relay and moved them to the brooder. I've never had such active day olds before. The humidity only dropped 5% and I bumped it right back up so all should be well.[​IMG]

6. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I'm trying to resist the temptation, but it's really hard! And they're running out of room!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by