Taking chicks out of the bator with eggs still incubating

kevs-chickadees

Songster
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Mesa AZ
I am getting mixed answers so I thought I would see what the experts had to say. I had 3 chicks hatch out a day early and I believe one can leave them in the incubator for up to 24 hours? Well it's getting close to a day later since they hatched so I am wondering if the other eggs have not pipped yet is it safe to move the chicks to the brooder without causing any shrink wrapping?

I did when mine hatched. Another 4 hatched after that. I don't see the problem if the other eggs haven't pipped. If you're quick about it I can't imagine the humidity going down to 'dangerous' levels.
Oops. I'm not an expert though.

Last edited:
I remove mine when they are dry and fluffy and active. Just do it quickly and at once. If you have multiple chicks to remove, employ a set of helping hands. "OK, I'm going for the one on bottom right and you grab the two over there..." kinda thing. They'll be fine.

Thanks everyone! We kinda did a firemans bucket relay and moved them to the brooder. I've never had such active day olds before. The humidity only dropped 5% and I bumped it right back up so all should be well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom