Teenagers and rules??

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Last time I was taking some one else's kid on a trip I asked for a copy of the kids' medical card and a list of allergies and the mom said NO. I said, "You trust me to take your daughter but you're nervous of me having her medical card??" I knew this kid and knew she did have allergies. I knew she also had had fainting spells. (I was mildlly concerned at the time that the kid was pre-diabetic.) I reminded mom of this and said I was unwilling to take the kid without the card and permission to treat.....

Ok yeah I like you!!!! I don't think parents realize that if you aren't there, the person who takes them in NEEDS the permission to treat! If they DON'T have it your kid will be stabilized and thats all until you arrive.I don't want my kid in pain untreated til I drive 6 hours to get to her! They will not even give pain meds!!! I even give my ex husband the same when they go away, as I have Sole Legal and Physical custody of the 13yo! Just in case.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

She acted all indignant and refused for almost a week before she gave in and her husband brought the kid and the card over.... DH wondered if maybe they didn't have insurance and I felt bad if that was the case, but it was not, she just thought I was a control freak....

I hear that too... I'm not a control freak. I simply realize that i chose to have my kids, and I need to do whats right.Not whats easy.​

I teach school and it seems that all the teens know me (I teach 14/15 yo) and my kids are 14 and 16 now....
I ALWAYS have kids at my house and don't always speak to the parents as they know from word of mouth, etc that my house is "safe".... I do however... ALWAYS meet the parents when my kids go somewhere.

So... I would see how it is deemed "okay", but it isn't fair to the ones who have to keep others kids when they don't home when they are supposed to... I have been in situations where I have trouble getting someone to go home... I put them in the car and drop them off at their house.

I read the original post to my DS 18 (just graduated from HS) His response, "I WISH you'd be cool like that!"

Yeah, that tells me I"m on the right track with checking in and all that
wink.png

And then at the other extreme we have Katie09's folks - Sheesh! Katie, you sound like my college roomate 20 years ago! We didn't have cell phones though. She had to leave for home after her last class every Friday, and her parents would drive her back to campus in time for her 8am class on Monday. They also took her home Tuesday night and brought her back Thursday AM since she had no Wed. classes. She had to call home from the pay phone in the lobby each night and mom would tell her what to wear the next day. I too hope your folks figure out a way to relax and let you begin to spread your wings, my goodness, it's more than time.

Its just my mom, my dad does not live with us. My mom also grew up in Baltimore (5th highest murder rate in the country). She was a very bad kid, and did a lot of things that could have gotten her killed very easily. I think that is why she freaks out all the time. However, we do live in the middle of nowhere, never had a major crime in the area in almost 30 yrs. I always ask her what shes going to do when I move out. I think she'll get over it eventually, I'm just going to wait it out.

I always tell my kids, "Being a MEAN mom does not make me a bad parent!" Mine can do ANYTHING they want, as long as I know where, when, who and all # I need. If grades fall below a "B" there are more restrictions. You are My child first, you are then a student, then you have a social life and if need be you will not have #3. I'M the MOM! Sorry. I do love you and want you to be a productive adult. ALWAYS love the work you do!
I never let my kids ride the bus because the bus driver had no controll over the kids on the bus. If they can't make other kids sit down and behave then they can not make my kid sit down and behave. SO we bought an excursion and I picked up mine and 4 others. They called me the little blue bus. I do remember one time....VERY close friends sent their DD to spend the night so they could go out...well the next day mom thought dad was picking up and dad thought mom was picking up. They both had plans and needless to say DD stayed at my house untill monday!!!!!! it was upsetting for all. Really!
roll.png

Hi, I work in a high school and have 2 teenagers and 2 kids in their early 20's. There are still parents who have to meet the people where their kids are visiting. Even teenagers. I know as I am one and so are the parents of the kids my 15 year old son hangs out with. However, there are parents who think being a parent has to do with being a friend rather than a parent. Not so bad I guess. But there are parents who stopped parenting once the kids started being a pain in the butt. There is no doubt though that kids feel safer and more loved if their parents pay attention to them. That doesn't mean dropping them off somewhere and leaving them without contact. On the other hand, did the parents think the kids were somewhere else? I know sometimes the kids are a bit manipulative. It is different now. It was hard when I was a kid and it is a lot harder now for kids. It is so frustrating to have such sad kids when all they want is to know that they are loved. So many do not! Sorry for the rant but this is such a shame.

I was not an angle when i was younger by any means. Up until I was 17 my mom would call the other parent to make sure they were home but that rule really only applied when i went to girls houses. I am now 18 and graduated and i made her stop because it was embarrassing. But in the OP that seems like stuff people do around here. I have friends that come to my house when I am not home but that is because they are like brothers and vise verca with there houses. My parents have an open door policy with my friends as long as they get up and help with chores in the morning.

I'm allowed to go to anyone's house as long as I have a ride home, and my parents know them. I'm allowed to go to the movies with friends, but I have to have my cell phone. I did have to ask them when my friend's brother took us to get ice cream at 2 o clock in the morning. I can't go when my parents don't know my friend's parents though, if they don't know them they have to talk to them...

My guardians rarely ever knew where I was..
I also used to go to a friend's house all the time without her parents knowing I'd be there.
I knew their garage code and would just let myself in.
Sometimes she wasn't even home and her mom would hear me come in and be like, "she went to get food" and then would disappear, while I waited in my friend's room.
Other times we'd be doing something and her mom would come into the roon and see me and say, "when did she get here and how long is she staying?"
I had usually been there all day and we'd tell her I was staying for several days. She never cared..
hu.gif

Quote:
Same with me. My parents trust me and as long as I called them and let them know if my plans change at all, then they're completely fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom