Tell me about your hatchery experiences..

Your first picture is identical to my 3 golden laced wyondottes
Yes, I even contacted mpc about it and they said they were sorry I was disappointed, but that she was indeed blrw genes without the actual coloring. Who knows? I have no way of knowing for sure, but she's my girl now so not much to do about it. She's also very flighty and kind of a loner when she's not pecking everyone else so I hatched out some wyandotte friends for her in February that will hopefully be her buddies. Poor girl.

Yes, I even contacted mpc about it and they said they were sorry I was disappointed, but that she was indeed blrw genes without the actual coloring. Who knows? I have no way of knowing for sure, but she's my girl now so not much to do about it. She's also very flighty and kind of a loner when she's not pecking everyone else so I hatched out some wyandotte friends for her in February that will hopefully be her buddies. Poor girl.
Yes I have 2 hens and a rooster of that breed and color all were more flighty than the others and rooster was so docile got beat up by other hens

Yes I have 2 hens and a rooster of that breed and color all were more flighty than the others and rooster was so docile got beat up by other hens

Awww, I hope the newbies are kindred spirits for her. I have an extra coop they can have if it turns out best for them. We'll see. It's good to know that's possibly a breed trait though and not just her.

@AgnesGray , she looks like a black laced gold to me too. It's not rare that the wrong chick lands in a chick order, and when it's happened here the hatcheries I've used have been very good about replacing the birds, or giving store credit for them. One year we got black laced gold Wyandottes instead of the blue laced reds we ordered, and they shipped the right chicks to us free of charge later.
Look at the Cackle catalog; they have photos of the three colors that occur in producing the blue laced reds, all separated, so you can see what they really look like.
Mary

@AgnesGray , she looks like a black laced gold to me too. It's not rare that the wrong chick lands in a chick order, and when it's happened here the hatcheries I've used have been very good about replacing the birds, or giving store credit for them. One year we got black laced gold Wyandottes instead of the blue laced reds we ordered, and they shipped the right chicks to us free of charge later.
Look at the Cackle catalog; they have photos of the three colors that occur in producing the blue laced reds, all separated, so you can see what they really look like.
Mary
I will take a look. So far no one has been willing to do anything about it... just saying that they told me it could happen and I even sent them other hatchery photos with her photo as an example. Not sure if it's worth trying again, but I suppose I could.

Last edited:
I ordered 6 BB-Bronze Turkey poults from Meyer Hatchery last year, & they were very great tasting, high quality, meat birds.
This is Thanksgiving before Thanksgiving;).
1126191416.jpg
He was 42 pounds dead weight.

I just recently ordered some chicks, & they'll ship on the 30th.

I am planning on placing an order through a hatchery (Cackle, since I am located in MO) and am really nervous about the shipping. Can someone who has had their chicks shipped, help me have an idea what to expect? I know they know what they're doing, but these are my first chicks ever and I really want to do everything I can to make the whole experience as good as possible for the chicks and my family. :)

Just have your brooder and drinking water warmed up by the time you are supposed to get them and pick them up when the post office calls you is about all you can do on your end. Keep an eye out for pasty butt.

More likely that one may die after they ship (in your brooder) than during the shipping unless they get lost in the mail which apparently has happened. Worrying about it won't help a thing, just be prepared. Good luck with your brood.

I call my post office if they haven't called me by 7 and get in to pick them up first thing. Once they called me before 6 and once they didn't call at all, so I try to be ready to go whether or not they call if tracking says they're arriving.

Like pibb mentioned, it's a good idea to have the brooder plate of lamp warmed up and ready ahead of time. Electrolytes (i like nutridrench) can be helpful. The rest is up to the post office.

I call my post office if they haven't called me by 7 and get in to pick them up first thing. Once they called me before 6 and once they didn't call at all, so I try to be ready to go whether or not they call if tracking says they're arriving.

Like pibb mentioned, it's a good idea to have the brooder plate of lamp warmed up and ready ahead of time. Electrolytes (i like nutridrench) can be helpful. The rest is up to the post office.
How do you know which post office is the one your package will be picked up at? I don't know that I've ever had to go pick up a package since living in my current house. I know of several post offices close to me, just not which one will be holding my package.

Back
Top Bottom