Telling chicks apart

Michigan Transplant

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Marionville, MO
Since these will be my first "Black"chicks ( I have RIR's) I am wondering how to tell them apart. Ordered three different breeds and will be picking them up next Wednesday 16th. Since they are all of the black variety I was wondering if someone knew the best way to tell them apart.
I ordered 4 Silver Laced Wyandott's, 4 Barred Plymouth Rocks, and 4 Black Australorps.
Anyone have any ideas for when I get them to keep who is who identified? PLEASE and thank you so much.

Feathersite has a good listing of pictures of chicks of the different breeds. Go to this link: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKBabyChicks.html
ETA
- after looking at the pictures of the chicks of the breeds you ordered (you might have to scroll down some to find the chick pictures) you should be able to tell them apart fairly easily.

Last edited:
Thank you so much dsgard for the information. Glad someone was willing to read and comment on this. I will surely check them out and keep that sight for future reference. Thank you again!
smile.png

The SLW will be mostly black with silver looking horseshoe on their bacK and other marking- the black australorpe will be black with yellow belly and marings on the face. Not sure about the BPR

Thank you heathersboers, I wrote down what you said so between what dsgard sent and what you said I HOPEFULLY can tell my little peeps apart. Read that the BA are a friendly type and have heard some say theirs will jump in their laps. That is the kind of chicken I want, guess I want more of a pet than "chickens". Thank you again. Appreciate both of you taking the time to help me.

No problem! When you get them -you can post pics and we can help if you get confused-colored Zip ties work great for keeping them separate for a while- just make sure they dont get too tight.
wink.png

Different breeds can be more friendly than others but the main thing that is going to give you "lap chickens" is handling them a lot when they are little. Move slowly when you approach them so you don't startle them. They also get a lot more friendly when they learn that you are the "bringer of treats".
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom