Temporary coop question....

goodbull92

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
NE Texas
Ok, the weather has literally put a damper on our coop building project. So, I would like to know if the 16' covered stock trailer I have would be ok for a temporary coop for our new chicks if we are unable to finish the coop & run on time. Currently our chicks are only 2.5 weeks old. I would like to move them to the trailer at week 4 or so. I plan putting shavings in the trailer & putting wire over any/all openings of the trailer. I will also make some roosting bars for the trailer. Would this be ok for the juveniles for say 3 weeks or so?

That depends on how many chicks you have. I have an 8 stall barn and my brooder stall is 12 x 12. At the present time I have 37 chicks in there. 24 are 3 wks old and 13 are 4 wks old. They have lots of room to run. I find it keeps a lot of the behavioral problems like feather picking from happening. Have fun with your chicks.

I have 33 chicks that are 2.5 weeks old right now. So, I plan on starting them in the trailer with the half gate closed & then open it up a week or so later. That would give them 16' x 6' of room.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement on this temporary coop....it seems to be working great as you can see from my pics:

I think that was a great idea!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom