Temporary roost ideas

Redbirdacres

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
We moved our 9 week old chicks (one roo, 4 hens, and one SURPRISE roo) outside on Monday to the coop/run. We are slowly integrating with our 7 one year old hens so they're separated at all times. I want to throw together something insanely quick and easy for a roost for the babies while they're separated. They're still have trouble remembering that when it's dusk it's time to go in but they also have nowhere to roost and I want to give that to them this week. Any ideas PLEASE! TIA 😁

I made a quick roost with a couple of 3 foot long pieces of rebar and a straight branch from the woods. Pound the rebar into the ground and measure how far the tops are from each other. Drill a couple of rebar size holes halfway through the bottom the the tree branch, spaced appropriately, and fit it onto the two rebar tops. My chickens like the one I set up.

IMG_1686.JPG IMG_1687.JPG IMG_1688.JPG

Nice roost.

At that age a dropped stick from a tree will work. For the chicks in the dog crate I just slide a stick between the wires. I find they were older than nine weeks, but they are large breeds. The stick will work for a while, then they will need a wider perch, but they will be out of the crate by then.

If you have an old broom stick you're willing to sacrifice you can prop it up with a couple pieces of 2x4s. Just make sure to make a pilot hole through the broom stick, otherwise the screw will crack it.

Attachments

• B88AC778-F5D6-43F3-949A-15F99265B9E4_1_201_a.jpeg
    B88AC778-F5D6-43F3-949A-15F99265B9E4_1_201_a.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 8
This is my "practice" roost, sized specifically to fit in my brooder, though honestly I find they don't need it at all. When they're ready to roost they'll use the adult roosts (if available) without having to practice first.

perch.jpg

Back
Top Bottom