Tennessee

Pics
Looks like about 2 to 3 inches of snow on the ground here. However, snow turned to an ugly mix of rain and sleet late last night. Just woke up about 15 minutes ago to find we had no power. About the time I got all my candles and oil lamp lit and was all comfy the power came back on. Thankfully it was only off about an hour. We burn wood 24/7 in the winter time so heat wouldn't be a problem. However, I almost panicked when I realized my coffee maker wasn't gonna work this morning!
idunno.gif
I've gotta pick me up a percolator to use of top of my wood stove. I would just boil me some in a kettle if I had to! Coffee....yes.....definitely more coffee!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I feel ya on the coffee. My list of must have's for winter mess is COffee, Tp,and smokes {yes I smoke,and yes,I know its bad for me}. Glad your power came back on so fast.We have not lost power but a bunch fo my friends in North MS have.

Yall taught me something already today.about the EE not really liking to lay in this winter stuff. THose are the kind I want.While chickens arent DH's "thing", he seems to like the idea fo the different colored eggs! My oldest, Critter {9} said, Oh Mama, green eggs and Ham! gotta love that big un of ours,lol.

I read about yall stocking up on feed. Lets say you do run out, ya reckon making a big pan of cornbread would suit them? Im trying to get my homework good and done before we start this chicken trip.

This is the only thread Ive been to so far {besides the intro one},but fingers crossed Ill have more quiet time before the Monkey {2} both boys, wakes up. Off to look at coops!
pop.gif

Have a happy snow day!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
TnMama. Hi, I'm Karen and I'm a chicken addict!
frow.gif
You've joined a bunch of nuts. Remember while you're looking at coops, if you think you you want 4 chickens, better get a coop for 16-20.

We didn't loose power, but this weather is a mushy mess!

Last edited:
We got snow yesterday about 3:30 and 3inches came down fast
its now raining. but we are to go to about 9 tonight.
Brrrrr I just want to hibernate,
got everything We need for us and the flock yesterday.
so we're set for what ever comes.including oil lamps
and flashlights.just hope we dont lose power
for the Freezers.

We ended up with about seven inches as predicted. Its still snowing. Had to sweep a path across the deck and down the steps so the chichuachuas would go potty! They were like"you gotta be kidding!"!lol
Yes if you run out of feed they can get by on any leftovers or bird seed etc. They usually aren't picky eaters.

TnMama maybe get a mixed flock,EEs for colored eggs and wyandottes or some other heavy breed to insure winter eggs.There are so many breeds to choose from(and I want them all! lol).

Well I will be on startling patroll for a few days. They swarm my pens when the can't find their regular food.I can't keep feed out for my birds all the time because they gobble it up. And they are nasty too!

Quote:
Hi Karen,Im Sarah but never Say-rah! lol. just how big should a coop be for 16-20? Its been so long since Ive had any.

Thank you too Okla. Its more warm here than cold, so what can you reccomend for warm weather too? I know there are other threads for all these questions, but I figure yall are more familiar with the climate.

So thanks a bunch for answering my questions. Im not a novice just really rusty!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I feel ya on the coffee. My list of must have's for winter mess is COffee, Tp,and smokes {yes I smoke,and yes,I know its bad for me}. Glad your power came back on so fast.We have not lost power but a bunch fo my friends in North MS have.

Yall taught me something already today.about the EE not really liking to lay in this winter stuff. THose are the kind I want.While chickens arent DH's "thing", he seems to like the idea fo the different colored eggs! My oldest, Critter {9} said, Oh Mama, green eggs and Ham! gotta love that big un of ours,lol.

I read about yall stocking up on feed. Lets say you do run out, ya reckon making a big pan of cornbread would suit them? Im trying to get my homework good and done before we start this chicken trip.

This is the only thread Ive been to so far {besides the intro one},but fingers crossed Ill have more quiet time before the Monkey {2} both boys, wakes up. Off to look at coops!
pop.gif

Have a happy snow day!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC! What part of west TN are you from? Medina here........

Don't worry Sarah, I'd never call you Say-rah. I used to be Kay-ren and my husband was Gay-ry when we lived in South Carolina.
BTW - rule of thumb is 4 sq. ft. per chicken, but you can get by with less if they have access to outside when they want. I don't even have a coop, just a small house for their roosts so they can be closed in at night - not even insulated, but they're in a very large covered run every day and out free-ranging when the weather's nice and I'm home to watch them. So far, no frostbite (knock on wood).

Edited to add: My set-up means I have to get up every morning at 7AM and take warm water and open their little house to let them out. Me thinks there'll some construction going on when the weather warms. This morning was nasty!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom