Tennessee

Quote:
My goodness Nella... I had to check to make sure my heart didn't stop! HAHA! 150 chickens! How'd you feed so many? I'm glad you've been downsizing, helps the budget for sure!

150 was a lot. WAY too many. I will hopefully not make that mistake again this year. I have 37 of my own birds I am keeping......will have a couple more hens for sale, planning on selling the Welsh Harlequin duck quad come spring time. I have 26 chicks, but 14 are roosters....so 37 birds of mine plus the 12 girls....49. If I can get down to 40 or 45 by springtime that would be best. Will probably sell most of the olive egger girls by winter so I only overwinter a few dozen next year.

My feed bill has definitely gone WAY down. Also, have been going to LC feeds for my layer feed now! Still get scratch from the Loudon Co-op cause its only $7.40 a bag there. Can't beat the 22% layer for less than $12 a bag! And my birds are loving the slightly smaller pellet size.

My DH would kill me if I had 150 chickens! We are debating over 25! One son is begging for some Polish on our new order and so far, no has been the answer but I might accidentally order some
hide.gif
. I wonder if there are any chicken breeders local to me. I haven't had any luck finding anyone yet.

Ohhh Nella, 150 chickens!! Mmmmm . . . . chickens . . . need more chickens . . .

So is everyone all melted and clear this morning? We still have small bits of snow in the nooks and crannies outside, but it's pretty dry and clear otherwise. Hope all your roads are clear by now!

robo, how are things out your way? Any ice left?

mema, have not heard from you on this thread. Hope you are doing well!

Last edited:
Quote:
I love LC Feeds, I buy the layer pellets, scratch, and flock raiser there. I'm thinking of starting to buy my cat food as well, just make her my one stop shop for all my feed. I know the scratch is expensive there but she goes and picks it up in Madisonville herself and it's like 7 grain with vitamins and rolled in molasses. Good job finding homes for all those chickens! I know it's not very easy unless they're hens!

Wow that is cheap for feed. I feed ADM bacause it is 20% and has a meat product. I will not feed purina or local feed for all is 16% protien. I really like thier scratch too alot better than co-op and tsc. Can you post the ingridents for the LC feeds. Might be worth stopping in to stock up. Ofcourse I am only going thru a bag a month to a month and a half now with 13 chickens. In spring they will not eat any feed since I free range them.

Ok, this is a ALL TN thread please do not go WTNs. I love hearing about what is happening over in other areas. Gives me reason for road trips.
big_smile.png

As of now all roads are clear even most of our 800 foot drive way is almost clear. We still have alot of snow on the property since we are own valley. Around the house and in valley where coop is and on our small mountain.

Quote:
Ok, I'll give most of the ingredients... if you want to see all go over there and read them
tongue2.gif

Crude protein 16-18%, Fat 4-6%, and Fiber 6-8%
Ingredients (in order on tag): Wheat, cracked corn, milo, oat, oat groats, whole corn, sunflower seed, grit, rice, vetch, buckwheat, fish food, vegetable oil, easy gro,18% rooster pellets, milk plus, sunflower hearts, caremel flavoring.
That's the real ingredients the rest is oils and stuff, it's called rooster booster but I feed to all chickens. It's 12.99 a bag for 50 lbs.

Hey Stanglover, I'm pretty new to chickens and have a question. I thought we weren't supposed to use corn as the largest part of their nutrients? The way the ingredients read, even though wheat is listed first, there may well be more corn than anything else ~ many companies hide the fact that corn is the main ingredient by listing it's various parts under different names. Here there's: Wheat, cracked corn, milo, oat, oat groats, whole corn, sunflower seed, grit, rice, vetch, buckwheat, fish food, vegetable oil, easy gro,18% rooster pellets, milk plus, sunflower hearts, caremel flavoring.

And quite often both 'fish food' and vegetable oil are corn based.

So it's ok to give layers lots of corn? Thanks! Oh, and could I still give them cracked corn for scratch if using this? THanks!

stanglover- do you have a co-op near you? My co-op makes a 21% layer pellet that seems to be working great for my girls. I'll try to go snag the ingredient list off the bag to see exactly how it's made. I like the extra protein though. They have 16%, 18% and the 21%. It is the co-op brand. I think they make ours in Eagleville, so it is made in Rutherford County. Perhaps your county does the same.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom