Territorial behavior or mating behavior of male Pekin

Launchpad

Songster
May 24, 2022
Central Texas
Hello all
So two issues have arisen that I was hoping to get some opinions/thoughts on.

Firstly is the behavior of the two older Pekin vs three newer/younger ducks (2 Cayuga and 1 Silver Appleyard)

The two Pekin, one male one female are at 6 months and have adjusted well to their coop, the pond, and the entire property. They mostly have free reign to go wherever they want though of course prefer the pond and adjacent grass areas. Their coop is right by the pond as well.

And at just over 3 months old we have the 2 Cayuga and the 1 silver Appleyard (ordered as 3 female chicks though 1 seems to possibly be male, that's the next post)
These 3 sleep in the outside of the otherwise unoccupied chicken coop on the other side of the property. During the day they are mostly allowed to go wherever they want though usually prefer it in the large fenced yard next to the house. The pond is just on the other side of this yard but is separated by a fence.

The plan is to continue slowly integrating them so they become a harmonious flock that all sleep in the duck pen.

Here enters the behavioral issues.
The Pekin live to chase the 3 younger ducks around when the are in the same area of the property. The male does it far more than the female but both do it. At first I was always with them when the intermingled to make sure everything was going well/ separate them as necessary. Even when they cornered one of the younger ones, whether I was there or not (I observed from inside) they just stop. Either walk or away or just stop moving and the littler duck is able to scamper to the other three. No attacking or anything. So lots of chasing and running around but no physical contact.
This is still true unless they are in the area with the pond. Both Pekins become much more aggressive and twice the male has caught one of the little ducks and pulled feathers etc. And he charges them with much more purpose, had down etc. Reminder the 2 larger Pekin are at 6 months, 3 smaller at 3 months but fully grown.
*I have attached a video of this specific behavior. *
Other than that the integration is going well. They even sit and seek out each other when they are on opposite sides of the fence. The smaller 3 love to follow the Pekin around and hang out especially if it through the fence (picture attached of that).
So any thoughts, concerns, etc or what i should do differently in anything is appreciated. And hopefully the female Pekin lays soon at 6 months and must be close

Attachments

• 20220903_090425.jpg
    20220903_090425.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220901_145026.jpg
    20220901_145026.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220828_185650.jpg
    20220828_185650.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220827_174946.jpg
    20220827_174946.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220827_174946.jpg
    20220827_174946.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
That is pretty normal duck behavior. I have seen ducks be even more determined to control their area. He is just asserting his dominance in the flock, but he doesn't look really all that aggressive about it. They will eventually work it out. It helps having multiple food and water stations so he can't dominate just one.

That is pretty normal duck behavior. I have seen ducks be even more determined to control their area. He is just asserting his dominance in the flock, but he doesn't look really all that aggressive about it. They will eventually work it out. It helps having multiple food and water stations so he can't dominate just one.
Excellent idea
Thank you

Your Pekin Drake seemed most interested in the one black duck. Is that possibly the one that you think might be a drake. If so it is normal behavior at times for drakes to not get along. If it is not then he is probably just establishing the pecking order and letting them know he is boss. I hope that they all get along soon and that you have three young females and no drakes.

Your Pekin Drake seemed most interested in the one black duck. Is that possibly the one that you think might be a drake. If so it is normal behavior at times for drakes to not get along. If it is not then he is probably just establishing the pecking order and letting them know he is boss. I hope that they all get along soon and that you have three young females and no drakes.
He actually likes the silver appleyard female the most of the three younger ones; chases her the most etc.
And the black cayuga possible male has been upgraded to almost definitely male....I am actually about to make a new post regarding that. So that may further explain some of the dynamics

He actually likes the silver appleyard female the most of the three younger ones; chases her the most etc.
And the black cayuga possible male has been upgraded to almost definitely male....I am actually about to make a new post regarding that. So that may further explain some of the dynamics
Yes, by your video you can see him chasing off the one that seems to be a male so that he can have the Appleyard Duck to himself. That would be quite typical.

Back
Top Bottom