Texas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by allen wranch, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Little Wing

Little Wing Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Welcome aboard. [​IMG]

If I can scrounge up the wood I'll try to put you one together before then. They are pretty easy to make.
    My guess is you will have around 20 chickens by the end of summer. (Chicken math) What kind did you order and from where? Welcome to the BYC. [​IMG]

Be careful and don't coddle the roos. They turn out mean sometimes if they are coddled young. I just love child labor. My 2 yr old grandson was catching chicks and holding them while I banded them yesterday. He can even catch the hens. Its hilarious when they start flapping when he catches them, he won't let go.

2. jpruett86

jpruett86 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Borger Tx
    Can't hurt to try!! Especially for a fairly cheap design like the PVC feeder :)

3. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    That's what happens when companies want a large profit margin and consumers want the cheapest they can buy.

4. Little Wing

Little Wing Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    A 4" PVC Y is $43 and 4" PVC pipe is $18 for 10' at Home Depot.

5. GFamily

GFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2013
    Texas
    Well, I haven't gotten brave enough to get a roo yet. Our city only allows 1 roo per 10,000 sq ft. And our property is 10,800 sq. ft. And so that's why I got the sex link chickens so I know I have girls. But, when we do venture out and get that first roo..I'll definitely remember your words of advice! Thank you.

6. taterdee

taterdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    By co
    By coddle do you mean hold? What are other ways to make them more friendly? I'm sure we are bound to have some as we are hatching them. Only 4 days old so far. So holding is ok before they enter that defining cockerel stage right?

7. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    once i know mine are roosters, they get minimal holding time.

8. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    IMO, they are there to do a job. Not to be held. I also don't tolerate an aggressive rooster. AT ALL. Just my opinion though. My rooster has never even looked at my cross ways. He takes care of his girls like he is supposed to, and as long as he does that, we are good.

1 person likes this.
  9. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX

1 person likes this.
  10. taterdee

taterdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks. I have a 16 mo old who just loves animals. So we went with eggs to start our flock as friendly as possible. Want to make sure we don't mess that up! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by