Texas

How are you fermenting? Two bucket method or one bucket? If you have it all completely covered with water (and it's still covered after sitting there a few hours), I would add a little more feed to it. I feed mine out at a oatmeal-like consistency. So it's not real liquidy and I don't have to drain anything because what liquid is in there gets absorbed into the food. (I tried draining in the beginning and that is super messy work!)

I probably put a little less than half feed in it last night, covered it with water.  This morning it still had a little liquid on top and I added some more.  It was bubbling this morning.  I just went and checked it again.  No liquid on top now and it was about to roll over the bucket.  I scooped some out and put it in another bucket to keep it from spilling on my garage floor.  Had to put it in the garage last night as my dog left his food and was gobbling it up when I was not looking.  I think I will just start another bucket tonight so I will have some going all time.  I am just using one bucket.  I guess I will eventually learn about how much to put in to keep it from spilling over.  Will it be o.k. to leave it in the barn in this heat?  How many days will it be good to feed to avoid spoilage, if it will spoil?

Come on over to the meat bird section and look us up on the Fermented Feed thread. "It's not just for Meaties anymore"" Lol

I am finally getting around to posting pictures of the coop. It has been "liveable" for the last month or so, but it still needs some exterior trim work and decorations. The girls really seem to like it. This was my first real attempt at construction and I am pretty proud of it. The girls "Farm House" The egg door Nest boxes with fake eggs. Some of the girls enjoying the evening breeze. Thanks for all the help to everyone.
Hey, thats some Sweet Diggs!! You did a great job!

I forgot to mention that we do check them pretty regularly just to make sure the ties aren't getting tight.

A couple weeks ago I had one pullet who had been limping for a couple days - not a bad limp, but she was a little gimpy. Well, I didn't think much about it until a couple days later when I had one of those wake up in the dead of night, sit up in bed moment's because my subconscious self had become convinced that her legband was too tight and was cutting off circulation, causing her limp. I wasn't about to tromp all the way to the other end of our pasture to check her out at 2:30am, but I could barely sleep the rest of the night since I kept envisioning her with a dead foot that was going to fall off, either killing her or leaving her to hobble around on a stump leg like a pirate. I flew out there at sun up, grabbed her off the roost, and lo and behold - her legband was just fine. She, however, was not so pleased with me disturbing her so early in the morning...

Been there but too funny :gig

Actually caught Speck using the misters.

Oh my god it's amazing outside.

My birds aren't panting :)

I love it. I only wish I wasn't stuck inside working all day!! If it stays cool I might take off early to work on our next coop and run. (We got 1 built, still need to do 2 more). This is SOO much nicer than 110 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom