Texas

I haven't been over here, to the Texas thread in a while. It just hasn't shown up in my notifications.
so Good morning everyone

Your roosters are so fluffy. I wish I could take one, but I'm not yet set up for another flock just yet. I'm thinking of starting a flock of bantams or smaller sized standards, due to the heat this summer.
My current roosters, with the exception of (7 or 8lb) Little, are all over 10lbs. I think chickens at 3 to 5 lbs would have an easier time in the heat.
Any opinions on this?

I didn't realize you were here in Texas. I follow your "food network" thread 🤣 You are very imaginative in the kitchen.
I have a few bachelors too. Just Not ready to stomach the culling skills yet.

/gentlemanly bow
In *here* I wear the storm tracker hat & talk shop with my fellow weather heads! I also have other interests around the BYC forum :pop :gig … some are just as imaginative… maybe more so?

/end of line

The January hatch had 4/4 cockerels. Dogs got two of those with my lap sitting hen and I'm still upset about it. The big white gentleman replaced his father in the neighbor's flock after a coyote came to visit. He is doing wonderfully. Last one made wonderful gumbo.

May hatch has 8 confirmed out of 15 cockerels. The boys are noisy at 10 weeks old and may not make 20 weeks. Still too warm for gumbo.

Best wishes with your boys. I can give you gumbo instructions to console you.

I think chickens at 3 to 5 lbs would have an easier time in the heat.
Any opinions on this?
Yes, smaller chickens do better in the heat.
I *think* most smaller breeds come from hot places such as the Egyptian Faiyum, which comes from Egypt. There's also the Andalusian which comes from Southern Spain.
I found this from an article->

• Pick one with large combs and wattles so it can cool itself down more efficiently.
  • Select a small, lightweight bird with less body fat. Chickens with smaller body mass have a higher surface area to body weight ratio, helping to cool them in hot weather.
  • Choose chickens with few feathers (particularly feathers in odd places, like on their feet).
  • Heat-hardy chickens may have feather patterns that are lighter in color, allowing the birds’ feathers to reflect sunlight instead of to absorb it.
  • This is anecdotal at best, but it’s suspected that many heat-hardy breeds of chickens also lay white-colored eggs.

Yes, smaller chickens do better in the heat.
I *think* most smaller breeds come from hot places such as the Egyptian Faiyum, which comes from Egypt. There's also the Andalusian which comes from Southern Spain.
I found this from an article->

• Pick one with large combs and wattles so it can cool itself down more efficiently.
  • Select a small, lightweight bird with less body fat. Chickens with smaller body mass have a higher surface area to body weight ratio, helping to cool them in hot weather.
  • Choose chickens with few feathers (particularly feathers in odd places, like on their feet).
  • Heat-hardy chickens may have feather patterns that are lighter in color, allowing the birds’ feathers to reflect sunlight instead of to absorb it.
  • This is anecdotal at best, but it’s suspected that many heat-hardy breeds of chickens also lay white-colored eggs.
That is interesting. I've also found that local chicks do better, when they are older.
I've gotten several from ideal hatchery. They always seem more heat tolerant than the ones who have come from tractor supply. Our local TSC seldom get their's from ideal, anymore. Beats me why.
The ones I hatch from my own stock seem to be more heat tolerant too, no matter what breed, or how heavy, the parents are.

Hello everyone,

I have 4 ducks that need to be rehomed for free in Sebastian, TX. Three are Rouens 2 drakes and 1 hen, they are 3 months old. One Pekin hen that is 3/4 months old. Message me if interested.
20220717_181927~2.jpg
20220717_182015.jpg
20220717_181906_HDR~2.jpg
20220717_181910_HDR~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom