Texas

I use the vittles vaults. I keep two 60lbs, a 35, and a 15lb vault under a carport. The 60s easily hold a bag of 50lb feed each. I've had them for several years and only once had a problem.
20220206_133646.jpg

My friend Trixie squirrel
chewed on the top of the one I keep scratch in. He didn't make it all the way through, but I had to replace the lid.

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon.

Hello, my fellow Texans (for now). My husband has accepted an offer for his dream job, and we're moving out of state in the next couple of months. I'm incredibly excited! I'm also heartbroken because I can't take my chickens. I'm hopeful they'll get to stay together, but I'm also prepared to split them up by breed. None of them are laying yet, but the Blues are close (crouching). They're all pullets and super sweet girls.

3 - Easter Eggers (14 weeks)
3 - Welbars (16 weeks)
3 - Sapphire Blue Plymouth Rocks (16 weeks)

I'm located in Aubrey (Denton County).

A little about the girls:

The Blues aren't big on being held, but they come for treats and aren't skittish. They also tolerate the heat better than the others because of their Andalusian heritage.

The Welbars are a rare breed. Hazel is the largest, and she's been a 'mother hen' since she was only a few weeks old. She looked out for and defended the EEs when they were being introduced. She likes to be petted but doesn't want to be held for long. Lola Belle loves snuggles, and Tilly is a talker who will demand you put down Lola Belle and hold her. They will tolerate the cold weather very well - small combs and wattles, English heritage. They get overheated quicker than the other breeds, the coop is in the shade only after 10 AM, and I have a small AC unit that I'm sure is what has kept my birds alive in these temps. They don't spend much time there, but when the pool and fan aren't doing the trick, they pop in there for a few minutes to cool off before returning to the rest of the flock outside. To be clear, my AC doesn't keep the coop *cold* rather, I have it set to the lowest cool setting to keep the ambient temps around 10-15 degrees cooler than outside. Even with all the ventilation, including the fans, I couldn't get my coop below 90 at night, and Hazel was acting lethargic and getting worse by the day. So, just in case you're worried they can't acclimate, they can, and under normal circumstances, I think they'd have been fine with the occasional triple-digit day, but this summer has been ridiculous.

The EEs stick to their own. They were introduced to the flock long before they were all moved outside, but they still like to stick to their own roost at night and huddle near the ice jug together. I give them some electrolyte water a couple of times a week. That's Lucy's favorite, and she jumps and gets in the way to be the first to take a drink.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I know it's long.

Attachments

• IMG_4441.jpg
    IMG_4441.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4444.jpg
    IMG_4444.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 4

Hello, my fellow Texans (for now). My husband has accepted an offer for his dream job, and we're moving out of state in the next couple of months. I'm incredibly excited! I'm also heartbroken because I can't take my chickens. I'm hopeful they'll get to stay together, but I'm also prepared to split them up by breed. None of them are laying yet, but the Blues are close (crouching). They're all pullets and super sweet girls.

3 - Welbars (16 weeks)

A little about the girls:

The Blues aren't big on being held, but they come for treats and aren't skittish. They also tolerate the heat better than the others because of their Andalusian heritage.

The Welbars are a rare breed. Hazel is the largest, and she's been a 'mother hen' since she was only a few weeks old. She looked out for and defended the EEs when they were being introduced. She likes to be petted but doesn't want to be held for long. Lola Belle loves snuggles, and Tilly is a talker who will demand you put down Lola Belle and hold her. They will tolerate the cold weather very well - small combs and wattles, English heritage. They get overheated quicker than the other breeds, the coop is in the shade only after 10 AM, and I have a small AC unit that I'm sure is what has kept my birds alive in these temps. They don't spend much time there, but when the pool and fan aren't doing the trick, they pop in there for a few minutes to cool off before returning to the rest of the flock outside. To be clear, my AC doesn't keep the coop *cold* rather, I have it set to the lowest cool setting to keep the ambient temps around 10-15 degrees cooler than outside. Even with all the ventilation, including the fans, I couldn't get my coop below 90 at night, and Hazel was acting lethargic and getting worse by the day. So, just in case you're worried they can't acclimate, they can, and under normal circumstances, I think they'd have been fine with the occasional triple-digit day, but this summer has been ridiculous.

The EEs stick to their own. They were introduced to the flock long before they were all moved outside, but they still like to stick to their own roost at night and huddle near the ice jug together. I give them some electrolyte water a couple of times a week. That's Lucy's favorite, and she jumps and gets in the way to be the first to take a drink.

Beautiful flock! I wish you the best of luck finding a new home. I love that you care enough to speak of them this way. (Reminds me of me. Lol)
You might trying making an ad on craigslist stating "starter flock for sale"
I hope someone will be able to take them all together.
Even though I don't usually bring in adults, I'd love to take them, but I'm too far away. Best of luck! I hope you will love your new home.

3 - Welbars (16 weeks)

[simple snipped for brevity]

:caf :frow
Hello neighbor…. I’m offering to talk about being a possible home for some. You can see my coop & run thread as well as stalk me other threads (smirks) you won’t be the 1st:lau:pop

If you prefer to PM me that’s fine as well. If time permits I’d be willing to stop by &/or letting you stop by as well to see my flock … etc.

Thankfully there is time for this all to work out.

Hey all, Austin here. We have a 4-month-old rooster (link to original post and picture) that needs a home. He is an Easter Egger and friendly we raised him from an egg and he has been handled his whole life. Our HOA won't let him stay and I can't, in good conscious put a no-crow collar on him in this heat.

Also, If there are any suggestions on where we could get a hen to replace him. We don't want our girl to live alone. It doesn't need to be an egg-laying hen, they are my daughter's pets so we don't really care if we get eggs.

Thanks so much!!
IMG_1816.jpeg

Hey all, Austin here. We have a 4-month-old rooster (link to original post and picture) that needs a home. He is an Easter Egger and friendly we raised him from an egg and he has been handled his whole life. Our HOA won't let him stay and I can't, in good conscious put a no-crow collar on him in this heat.

Also, If there are any suggestions on where we could get a hen to replace him. We don't want our girl to live alone. It doesn't need to be an egg-laying hen, they are my daughter's pets so we don't really care if we get eggs.

Thanks so much!!View attachment 3202816
@YellowRoseFarm has some ladies she is trying to rehome, you could send her a message and see if ya'll could come up with something

Back
Top Bottom