Texas

I was thinking of getting a large branch/tree limb to put in the run for them to hang out on and jump around and whatever their littles brains think they can do with a big branch.

When I kept parrots I always made sure I had real branch perches in the cage to exercise their feet and give them different sizes of perch to grasp so they wouldn't get cramped feet. Does the same hold true for the roosts in a coop or doesn't it matter since they are on the ground so much?

THEY LOVE THEIR OWN PRIVATE OUTSIDE ROOST!!!! (its just a branch we stuck in there after trimming around the yard)

If you want to go to Atwoods, if you take I30 E and get off on 34, head north across the Interstate, Atwoods is not too far into town.  It's on the left hand side and they have a big sign out front of their large parking lot.

[COLOR=0000FF]I am north of Dallas.  I would take Hwy 380 to get there.  I almost rode my bike there one Saturday when we were out exploring.  We ended up north of Greenville in Leonard.  There are some real interesting city names around here, like Frog Not.  lol![/COLOR]

Just find what you think you want and try it out.  If you have problems with picking, feather eating, or outright cannibalism (yes chickens can kill and eat each other), if you are using feed that does not have an animal protein source, then I would recommend you switch to an animal protein sourced feed.  Chickens are not vegetarians and there are times that if they aren't getting the right TYPE of protein, it can cause problems and they will start pecking on each other.  That can happen if they are bored or too crowded, but if they are not too crowded, then look at the protein source in your feed and see if that may be the issue.

[COLOR=0000FF]I know chickens have a pecking order and can kill other chickens.  Did not know they would eat them though!  I know you can feed a chicken chicken and it will eat it,,,,not about cannibalism though.  I will be sure to get a good type of protein that is also not too high. Read too high was bad to ferment. [/COLOR]

Are you drowning in information yet?  It's a lot to take in.  I'm still learning every day and a lot is trial and error to see what works.  And just when you think you have things figured out, one of the variables will change and you are back to square one again.

[COLOR=0000FF]Drowning?  Not quite, but a bit overwhelmed.  I think I need to let things stew for a bit before tackling more.  Right now keeping seahorses seems like a breeze compared to keeping chickens....  Yes, I have kept seahorses.  Gave up the saltwater tank after we downsized last year.  [/COLOR]

Sounds like you have been exploring in my area.

Sounds like you have been exploring in my area.
We ride out to Blue Ridge and sometimes beyond (Celeste, Frog Not and who knows what other cities), we go north to Westminster/Anna/Van Alstyne, also out to New Hope and Princeton. I ride to Weston and Chambersville...I usually average 40-60 miles a ride. Did not make it out today. Got busy with work and lost track of time. :(

One of these days I am going to write down all the crazy (and not so crazy) names of all the cities I have ridden my bike in.

I do the Collin Classic every year too. I averaged 17.2 mph on my 70 mile ride this year. I've been cycling for almost 2 1/2 years now. I love it! It keeps me sane too. ;)

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting a large branch/tree limb to put in the run for them to hang out on and jump around and whatever their littles brains think they can do with a big branch.

When I kept parrots I always made sure I had real branch perches in the cage to exercise their feet and give them different sizes of perch to grasp so they wouldn't get cramped feet. Does the same hold true for the roosts in a coop or doesn't it matter since they are on the ground so much?

I have parrots, so I understand your concern. I do think they should have different sized perches for the same reason a parrot needs them. Most people only give them something flat, so they lose the ability/strength to grip well. I know I always have to watch my parrots feet to make sure I don't get wear points on their feet. I think bumblefoot is the result of pressure sores, sometimes very small, from perching on something that isn't right. Falconers have a lot of problems with bumblefoot, and my avian vet (a world renowned falcon expert) told me it was caused by poor choice of perches. Chickens naturally roost at night in trees, not on the ground.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner! What is on your menu? Share a favourite here. :)

I will share a family favourite. It has been handed down from my grandma (who immigrated to the US from Sweden).

Corn Pudding
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk (I use soy)
2 TBSP sugar
2 cans creamed corn
2 TBSP flour
salt and pepper

Mix together and put in casserole dish. Top with crushed Ritz crackers and dot with butter.

Bake at 350* for about an hour (longer if using soy or low-fat milk)

It is like a souffle on top. Done when firm and knife comes out clean.

Thank you :) I am not all that far from Greenville. I haven't really spent any time there so I don't know the place. I did pick up a puppy there once. lol!

That is a neat idea (hanging food). I always have twine on had for the garden. I can hang my herbs for them and when my pear tree bears in July I can hang pears too. I got 3 bushels of pears this year. Not sure what it will do next year. We have only lived here for a year now.

I found out the feed store near me sells organic chicken food. :)

Is there a brand of food (organic or not) that is better than another? I want to stay away from GMO stuff.
I just buy regular Purina laying hen pellets, but our chickens don't care for them much. We also put out cheap cracked corn and sunflower seeds, which they like better. Our chickens are free-range and mostly they just forage in the grass, dirt and compost. We also give them food scraps. They're better than dogs at chowing down leftovers.

We also give them food scraps. They're better than dogs at chowing down leftovers.
LOL. Cleaned out the fridge this morning - navy bean soup, barbecue macaroni/turkey burger dish, squash, beef stew, fried eggplant. The chickens looked excited to get their special bowls. Yesterday it was pumpkin guts.

Thank you  :)  I am not all that far from Greenville.  I haven't really spent any time there so I don't know the place.  I did pick up a puppy there once. lol!

That is a neat idea (hanging food). I always have twine on had for the garden.  I can hang my herbs for them and when my pear tree bears in July I can hang pears too.  I got 3 bushels of pears this year.  Not sure what it will do next year.  We have only lived here for a year now.

I found out the feed store near me sells organic chicken food. :)  

Is there a brand of food (organic or not) that is better than another?  I want to stay away from GMO stuff.

I just buy regular Purina laying hen pellets, but our chickens don't care for them much.  We also put out cheap cracked corn and sunflower seeds, which they like better.  Our chickens are free-range and mostly they just forage in the grass, dirt and compost.  We also give them food scraps.  They're better than dogs at chowing down leftovers.
haha They sure are! Anything I have left over gets swilled down as though I never feed them.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner! What is on your menu? Share a favourite here. :) I will share a family favourite. It has been handed down from my grandma (who immigrated to the US from Sweden). Corn Pudding 4 eggs, beaten 1 cup milk (I use soy) 2 TBSP sugar 2 cans creamed corn 2 TBSP flour salt and pepper Mix together and put in casserole dish. Top with crushed Ritz crackers and dot with butter. Bake at 350* for about an hour (longer if using soy or low-fat milk) It is like a souffle on top. Done when firm and knife comes out clean.
Since I make the entire meal myself (from the turkey to the mashed potatoes to the gravy, I do it myself), I don't get to experiment as much with holiday recipes. It's always a bit disappointing. However, I think this year, I am going to make some special clover rolls (as originally seen at Luby's). I have the recipe in a really old Luby's cookbook. We'll see how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom