Texas

A crested EEr would be interesting!

My favorite is always changing. Right now I have a black copper that just began laying and her eggs are large..72g yesterday...and so is she. So lately she is my favorite...wonky comb and all.

Good morning! It's warm here right now! :)

I am painting the back door right now and am between coats. The temp is supposed to drop this afternoon and rain moves in and then cold. :/

I'm still debating getting chickens in the spring. Wondering if I should wait another year. Getting everything I need to get done, and within budget (haha!) is daunting right now. Maybe it is because I just spent so much on the doors, Christmas and other things needed around here...

I could just pick up some chicks from the feed store in the spring when I am ready too, instead of ordering them. Or buy them locally from other chicken owners. Thinking out loud here...

Nathan is better and went to work today. I don't think his stomach is 100% though. He doesn't want to eat much. Being a 19 yr old boy that is not normal. ;)

Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning! It's warm here right now! :)

I am painting the back door right now and am between coats. The temp is supposed to drop this afternoon and rain moves in and then cold. :/

I'm still debating getting chickens in the spring. Wondering if I should wait another year. Getting everything I need to get done, and within budget (haha!) is daunting right now. Maybe it is because I just spent so much on the doors, Christmas and other things needed around here...

I could just pick up some chicks from the feed store in the spring when I am ready too, instead of ordering them. Or buy them locally from other chicken owners. Thinking out loud here...

Nathan is better and went to work today. I don't think his stomach is 100% though. He doesn't want to eat much. Being a 19 yr old boy that is not normal. ;)

Hope you all have a great day!

I'm thinking of putting lighting in the coop. Something really basic like a shop light. We don't need large battery storage. Our gate is solar but it has a pretty big battery.

As a side: I used to get Mother Earth but got tired of their left leanings. My dad wrote an article for them many years ago on carbide lanterns. Most people don't know what they are. http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/carbide-lamp-zmaz80sozraw.aspx#axzz2o1XCxuHS

LED light is going to draw less power than a fluorescent shop light. And the LED shouldn't give you all that flickering mess that you get with shop lights. You should be able to find articles on Mother Earth's website or even just doing a search online for solar electric plans, for help in determining what size solar panels and battery you need to run a light - if you know how much power the light is going to draw and how many hours a day the light will run. My husband is a USNavy trained electrician so he kinda keeps that knowledge in his head, but I know I have seen calculating tables out there for determining your solar needs.

Always want to go bigger than you think you'll need. And have enough solar panels to still collect power on cloudy/overcast days. We have a problem sometimes in winter with our gate. The gate has two batteries but when it is overcast and raining for too long during the winter, we sometimes have to just manually open the gate and leave it open until we get enough sun to recharge the batteries.

Cool about your dad. Doesn't surprise me that people don't know what carbide lanterns are. Most people don't even know what a rotary phone is these days.

Door is done. :) My door has the blinds between the glass. I just know a woman invented that. ;)

Getting a quote for having the trim done on the house instead of me almost killing myself doing it. Yes, that is a possibility, I tend to be accident prone. A friend says I am accident waiting to happen. I think that is a bit strong, but there was a 6-9 month period a few years ago I resembled that statement. ;)

The rain has arrived. Thunderstorms by tonight.

Door is done. :) My door has the blinds between the glass. I just know a woman invented that. ;)

Getting a quote for having the trim done on the house instead of me almost killing myself doing it. Yes, that is a possibility, I tend to be accident prone. A friend says I am accident waiting to happen. I think that is a bit strong, but there was a 6-9 month period a few years ago I resembled that statement. ;)

Beautiful! My hen had brought her chicks out for the first time this morning. They weren't out long! The cold winds and rain have started here also.

Nice job with the door! I've been eyeballing that style for future replacement of my back door! No more dusting blinds!
wee.gif

Stay dry and warm!

Back
Top Bottom