Texas

I got my chicks in this past Friday. We had a bit of a rough start, losing 6 in the first 36 hours. But, the rest have been fine - no deaths since Saturday night. I think it was more of a shipping stress/failure to thrive type thing. Just in case my bulb had teflon, I did change that out.

They sent 28 total, so now I have 22. Best guess is that I have 5 Silkies (I know this number is correct), 4 Dominque bantams, 6 Buff Orpington Bantams, and 7 Easter Egger Bantams. I've been catching them and boxing them up once or twice a day to check for pasty butt, food stuck to their feet, and to clean out their bedding, but I've tried not to handle them any more than that so not to stress them out. I have picked up one or two that appeared a bit lethargic to see if they are still eating and drinking. All have done so out of my hand with no problem, so they may have just been tired. It's a learning curve trying to figure out what is normal chick run around and collapse and take a nap versus it being a health problem. I'm still nervous at times, and admit to lightly poking a chick or two that was sleeping, but I'm getting more comfortable.

I took this video today at lunch. I moved them onto shavings last night. This was right after I fluffed up their food. It seems like they have doubled in size since I got them.

0.jpg

They'll stay inside until I they begin to bother me (dust, odor, etc.) Then I have a pen set up in the garage, and the coop is almost finished. We still have to add chicken wire around the fence (it's 4x4 now with a hot wire on the outside), but we were able to test fit the ramp. I think it looks like a face from the back.
Sorry for your losses!
When I got my first chicks I lost 9 out of 15 within 48 hrs. It was tough.
But the 6 I had left did great! So I'm sure the rest of your babies will be strong.
Sometimes it's just nature's course, and not anything you did.

My new Black Copper Maran I got at Conroe trade days.

She sure is pretty....
love.gif

It is that time of year again....chicken snakes will be on the prowl (Texas Rat Snake)...do not leave eggs in the nest if they are not viable...just asking for attention...I had 14 chickens snakes in and around my coops last year...if there is a way in...the will find it...I heard a commotion one night...ran out and opened the roost house...there was my rooster on the floor with a 5 foot chicken snake wrapped all around him...he looked at me as if to say...HEY I COULD USE A LITTLE HELP HERE...lol...I poked the snake until he let my roo go...then I poked him some more until he exited the coop...then I did a cool machete trick on him.

My husband actually had the machete in hand last night and I said "oh, we'll just let him go way out in the sticks" and I made I'm put it in a bucket. UNTIL, this morning!!! And now that I know that **** thing ate all 19 of my very viable chicks I am going to machete him myself!!!

I got my chicks in this past Friday. We had a bit of a rough start, losing 6 in the first 36 hours. But, the rest have been fine - no deaths since Saturday night. I think it was more of a shipping stress/failure to thrive type thing. Just in case my bulb had teflon, I did change that out. They sent 28 total, so now I have 22. Best guess is that I have 5 Silkies (I know this number is correct), 4 Dominque bantams, 6 Buff Orpington Bantams, and 7 Easter Egger Bantams. I've been catching them and boxing them up once or twice a day to check for pasty butt, food stuck to their feet, and to clean out their bedding, but I've tried not to handle them any more than that so not to stress them out. I have picked up one or two that appeared a bit lethargic to see if they are still eating and drinking. All have done so out of my hand with no problem, so they may have just been tired. It's a learning curve trying to figure out what is normal chick run around and collapse and take a nap versus it being a health problem. I'm still nervous at times, and admit to lightly poking a chick or two that was sleeping, but I'm getting more comfortable. I took this video today at lunch. I moved them onto shavings last night. This was right after I fluffed up their food. It seems like they have doubled in size since I got them. They'll stay inside until I they begin to bother me (dust, odor, etc.) Then I have a pen set up in the garage, and the coop is almost finished. We still have to add chicken wire around the fence (it's 4x4 now with a hot wire on the outside), but we were able to test fit the ramp. I think it looks like a face from the back.
Where did you get your chicks from?

Back
Top Bottom