Texas

Hi! I am from East Texas. We have 80 acres in Bettie, TX (outside of Gilmer) and plan on building a home there this spring. That is where we are building our chicken coop. The coop will be 8x8 and the yard will be 16 x32, it will have to be well protected by predators as we have many. We have 14 baby chicks, 3 Silver Wyandotte ( Wynona, Reba & Shania), 4 Red Wyandotte (Grace & ???), 3 Rhode Island Red (Mini, Stawberry & ?), 1 Buff Oprington(Daisy) & 3 Dominique (Peaches & ??).

Hi @ladychick328 welcome to the Texas thread! Since your coop has yet to be built review the Articles button at the to of this page, look over the coops definately read about hardware cloth and consider electric fencing to keep out the mountain lions and black bears that are now moving into the state from the northern counties. That should give your Ft Squawks all it needs to defend against anything that would snatch them off the roost at night. Best wishes and welcome again!

Hello and Welcome!

Naming chickens after country music stars. Hmmm. You could use all the members of the band by breed or social group. Hmmm. Very Interesting. Little different than naming them after entrées.

Great Grandpa was from Silver Lake. I'll wave next time I drive through! :frow

Oh my goodness someone please tell me why I let my daughter have ducklings?? They are rambunctious! Also, we just added 6 new chicks to our flock!
Any advice on caring for ducks will be greatly appreciated :)
@WVduckchick I know is an avid duck person, so tagged her on this how old are your ducks and chicks? @newchickjess ?
edit-Also they can share the same starter feeds as chicken, just expect them to be messier eaters than the chicken were/are.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness someone please tell me why I let my daughter have ducklings??

Because they're adorable, and duck egg omelettes are awesome. :D

There's a duck forum section under other poultry, there's probably a ton of advice there. The one thing I learned after the fact about ducks is: don't feed them a diet that's extra high in protein (or carbs). They can get airplane wing, which isn't a huge deal in flightless yard and farm ducks, but it is better if you can avoid it.

Oh my goodness someone please tell me why I let my daughter have ducklings?? They are rambunctious! Also, we just added 6 new chicks to our flock!
Any advice on caring for ducks will be greatly appreciated :)

Ducklings must be one of the cutest things in the whole wide world, huh? But they can be a handful.
I would also suggest venturing over to the Duck section. Lots of info, check the sticky posts at the top of the section.
Most important duck tip - never ever allow them to have food without access to water, and their water should always be deep enough to submerge their bill to clean the nares (nostril holes). They drink and shove the water out thru the holes, which creates a huge mess, but absolutely necessary for them. Elevated waterers will be your friend. :)

Ducks are very adaptable to your own situation, so their care and needs can vary. Find out what works for you and your daughter. Enjoy! And Best of luck!

Ducklings must be one of the cutest things in the whole wide world, huh? But they can be a handful.
I would also suggest venturing over to the Duck section. Lots of info, check the sticky posts at the top of the section.
Most important duck tip - never ever allow them to have food without access to water, and their water should always be deep enough to submerge their bill to clean the nares (nostril holes). They drink and shove the water out thru the holes, which creates a huge mess, but absolutely necessary for them. Elevated waterers will be your friend. :)

Ducks are very adaptable to your own situation, so their care and needs can vary. Find out what works for you and your daughter. Enjoy! And Best of luck!
Thank you! And yes, the two little buggers have grown on me over the past day we've had them! I've been doing a ton of reading and will check out the duck forums :)
I might even post some pics tomorrow!

ETA: I have two sources of water in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom