Texas

So I just woke up late in the middle of the night definitely heading back to bed soon. Hilde just moved our 3-5 week old chicks out of the dog brooder last night so now they get the cat transport box. After the Hawks mowed that clutch down from 11 chicks to just three named Frick Frack, and Lolipop. Lucky is the sole surviving hen from the prior clutch. We aren't in a mood to lose any more of them. It appears that Frack is our only rooster from that group. So the 15 chicks we had in November and December now number only four due the Hawks and worthless roosters. Combined with the fact that we prefer free-ranging vs. keeping them all on lockdown.

Even with the neighborhood dog losses we're doing okay keeping our flocks numbers up here. Even if all 15 survived from those clutches we would be overrun and have huge feed bills.

Whoever said chicken are death was not full of it.

Last edited:
The last night over no drinks we decided that we're not going to breed any more silkies. They tend to wander outside of our fenced-in yard and get taken by neighbor dogs. Or disappear mysteriously. We're simply going to focus on the Sumatra once those cute little silkies are gone they're gone. Which will be a shame because when they run they look like tan-tan from Star wars. Plus with them gone I'll have yet another enclosure so I can focus on Malay my dream three-foot-tall ass kicking chicken.

I am sweating my patootie off right now. They clear-cut my back third acre of all vegetation because this is a drainage ditch out there that I'm deed restricted to. So I transplanted it full of prickly pear cactus to bar the neighbor dogs and coyotes from thinking it's their territory. Then transplanted all my barrel horse crabbler cactus back onto my land. Drilled holes in my tires so I know not to mow them cacti and few other natives that the Green Jay really like the fruit on of course they also eat the prickly pears and then poop purple on my porch. I'm not allowed to build a permanent structure back there due to the deed restriction. But nothing says I can't make a prickly pear wall. Next step on my list is to take a machete to this fast-growing cactus and put it on the property line between me and him so he doesn't get any ideas about where his property ends and mine begins it'll transplant out nicely in very thick wall plus the green Jays love its tuna as well. Picture below.
Hard to believe they bulldozed my Forest of impenetrable thicket
IMG_20200408_095823557.jpg

Last edited:
Cool so it turns out I called ideal nursery and I'm not getting a straight run of cockerels. As the guy on the phone said I'm getting a straight run I'm much happier about that.

I'm so looking forward to next year because that cleared patch of Earth. Will be getting a dump truck load of compost and whe're sitting up some beds out that way so once my wildlife barriers in place we're going to have some nice new garden beds.

Ideals chicken the black Sumatra straight run have just arrived you have to love the deal they get with the post office for overnight shipping. My mailman David called me by 8 and have them to me by 9 a.m. this morning. bruder set up in the bathroom hopefully it's for only one week and I can stick them under my Broody Sinatra when her eggs start to hatch. If not they're going to be relocated to the bachelor pad in 2 weeks time.with lows in the mid 70s to 80s I'm not too worried about running heat for them other than a cuddle box. IMG_20200409_091409224.jpg IMG_20200409_091406809.jpg IMG_20200409_091408263.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200409_091404026.jpg
    IMG_20200409_091404026.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200409_091405119.jpg
    IMG_20200409_091405119.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 2
Yippee!! I am almost back online. Blew up my laptop late last month and fried my motherboard. Right now it has been going through updates all day, but before I can put in a SSD drive to turn my Pawn Shop find into a real computer I have to go through all the pain of living with a harddisk made out of spinning rust(sooooo 2007). Hopefully the old ram is compatible as well as this fold it up and turn it into a tablet thing I now have. It might be limited to only support 4GB RAM. Now I just have to find out where I last placed my laptop toolkit.

Oh and in other news I backed the Wrangler into one of the porch/carports hurricane hardened 4x4's. The Jeep now has a clean spot on its rear bumper and it is only costing me $20- in materials to repair it(porch support). Glad it wasn't my wife doing that I would have been an uber dramaqueen about it if she drove through the thing. I'll upload photos of the quality of my work tomorrow once this machine is finally running windows 10 I'm on 8 still. It really has been updating since noon.:pop

Expect the quality of my photos to improve dramatically soon, but don't expect a huge improvement in the quality of my posts!:lau

Bleeding Heart did make a video of my destruction:
pending youtube at this point FB didn't work. Sorry to leave you hanging here the computer apparently needs more hours of updates before I can complete this action. :oops: here is the FB link if yall can make it work....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom