Texas

Welcome to the board AmyLM
frow.gif

I am fairly new to.. And I tried gardening last year and I did a great job at growing weeds but not veggies.. lol ..dont know if I am going to try again this year or not..and I have recently got started in chickens this last year and trying my hand at hatching a few eggs. of course the ones Im not trying to hatch tasted yummy.. lol. just a few months ago I got my first 3 silkies and they are addicting..

also does anyone know of a website where I can find show quality chicks.

Jennifer

I just moved to Harper Texas I have a large flock of layers that include marans of all color variety, red stars,speckled Sussex, buff and lavender Orpington, welsemers, ameracanas, blue polish straight and frizzled, frizzled Cochins, I recently got some bantams silkies, and my new favorits seramas I would love to get some crele serama. I also have Two rescue horses and 2 bulldogs

What do you tell people when they call your chickens Mutts?  I find it very irritating ...but them being elderly I have to bite my tounge.....

For me it would depend on whether they are mutts or not. But seriously, sounds like it's just a couple, and they're elderly so, yeah, I'd bite my tongue too. Even if they were not mutts.

I just wanted to say hello
smile.png
I'm from the east side of the DFW metroplex, just moved into a new place after moving here from Irving. I don't actually have any chickens yet but I'm in the process of researching so I can. Gotta make sure I get the best stuff and the right breeds before I really get started with it. I found this site when I googled having chickens in ones back yard and I'm amazed at what a good resource this place seems to be.
thumbsup.gif

I also found this place via google and am very glad that I did!! ;) I've already gotten alot of information off this site. I tried the whole researching each breed thing... and I finally gave up on it and just went through the Murry McMurry hatchery catalog and went "I want that one and that one... and one of those..." and suddenly I had at least 40 on the list and then narrowed it down to the min order of 25 then added the free rare chick so my order is 26. I will probably order more later once I experience the different breeds and know more about what I want. I also really want to get quail in order to provide eggs for my husbands friends who strongly prefer quail to chicken eggs. We don't think we will raise birds for food... but down the road who knows. I've got two acres and a big barn and at least some supportive neighbors who are chicken friendly who already said they want eggs! And one who wants chickens too. ;) Mine should be arriving the week of February 12th. I can hardly wait!! ;)
I just wanted to say hello
smile.png
I'm from the east side of the DFW metroplex, just moved into a new place after moving here from Irving. I don't actually have any chickens yet but I'm in the process of researching so I can. Gotta make sure I get the best stuff and the right breeds before I really get started with it. I found this site when I googled having chickens in ones back yard and I'm amazed at what a good resource this place seems to be.
thumbsup.gif

I have a Partridge Silkie Rooster that is 5 months old, was hoping he was a she. Does anyone who live in or around Fort Worth, Lake Worth, Saginaw, Springtown, Weatherford, Haslet, Azle or River Oaks want him? He needs some girls, he is in bachelor's quarters right now.
PM me if you or someone you know would like him.

Hey guys,

Miss Red here... My old computer crashed, finally got a new one. Got a new account as well. While I was gone, I lost ALL of my birds ( all but one guinea, one mixed roo, and one claret hen ) ... Between the nasty drought we had, and the high amount of predators due to it, everyone was lost... Over the summer I got so many predators that were after my birds, it was unreal. Unfortunately I had to leave my birds in the care of my mother when I moved down to FL to help a friend bring her boarding stable out of the red, and back in the black... Got home, and found that she had just left the birds to fend for themselves.

So! I am starting over. Just got 30 chicks in a few days ago, 15 EEs from someone I sold some of my EE hens to.... 15 BAs from my own stock, thankfully I had sent some birds to my dad. And Friday I'm going to pick up 18-20 of some production red hens from someone who took some of my stock down in Houston. From over 500, to just 30 birds and a fresh start. But, it will all be okay in the end ( I hope ).

I'm also building a new pole barn for my birds, I will try and keep ya'll updated as I go. I'm re purposing as much as I can from my uncles pole barn, which he is letting me take whatever I want off of. -sigh- half of my materials will be re purposed. BUT, a fresh start gives me the chance to play around with new coop designs, as the 30 birds I have now are only a few days old and the girls I'll be picking up from my uncles place in Houston, as well as the girls from my old stock that I sold to someone, won't be coming in for a few days. GIves me just enough time to get the 15x30 together for the youngsters, and put the adults in the breeder pens until further notice.

I was just in awe at the amount of damage done to my coops. The siding had been ripped off of one, and one of the structural boards damaged on another. AUGH. Frustrated? Yes. Fine with starting over? Yes. Ah, well, anyways.... I'm back!

Back
Top Bottom