Texas

thanks Hipeatall!!! I've registered at both sites - although the one I really didn't register, but I bookmarked - there is just not enough time in the day to do all the reading that I would like to do - my job really does get in the way of my personal life :)

I have some dog agility friends in Wylie.. Wish I lived closer I'd have grabbed one or two of the ones you had.

I know that a goat is just a dream we don't have the room for one :( maybe someday one of my son's will be rich enough to buy a nice big plot of land for their Mama
big_smile.png

went and got three pullets from the Brazos Valley Poultry Trade day in Giddings, 2 Egyptians and 1 partridge Plymouth rock then today we went to Melissa Rose's today and got a Columbian Wyandotte and a Salmon Faverolle.

Thank you to Melissa Rose the pullets we got from you today are the sweetest things and don't mind being picked and loved on at all. Your place is great lucky you!

o i heart melissa rose! i got my silkies from her!
thumbsup.gif

Can y'all recommend the best breed for a newbie to start with. We are about an hour away from Houston, just finished our coop, well almost finished, we still have t finish painting, and adding a few other fishes to it, but all should be done next week, we are planning on picking up our Hens next week. The plan is to do 4 chickens, sadly the max our coop will take, and also they will be illegal, since our neighborhood is completely anti chickens, but yet we can have a horse
hu.gif
. SO we are thinking 4 RIR's or maybe 2 RIR's and 2 Bared Rock, or maybe 2 RIR's 1 BR and 1 BO. Other issue is that I need quite Hens ( so neighbor behind us wont hear us), and friendly since I have 3 small kiddos.

Thanks everyone.

Can y'all recommend the best breed for a newbie to start with. We are about an hour away from Houston, just finished our coop, well almost finished, we still have t finish painting, and adding a few other fishes to it, but all should be done next week, we are planning on picking up our Hens next week. The plan is to do 4 chickens, sadly the max our coop will take, and also they will be illegal, since our neighborhood is completely anti chickens, but yet we can have a horse
hu.gif
. SO we are thinking 4 RIR's or maybe 2 RIR's and 2 Bared Rock, or maybe 2 RIR's 1 BR and 1 BO. Other issue is that I need quite Hens ( so neighbor behind us wont hear us), and friendly since I have 3 small kiddos.

Thanks everyone.

I am just saying sense I have added Silkies to my flock I just love them. Then hens are soooo quiet. I do not even know they are there. They are really tame, docile, alot of families I know that have young kids start with them because they are sooo friendly. But they lay little eggs not the big ones like your full flock does so that might not work for what you are needing. I also have buff orpingtons , Australorps and Easter Eggers the hens to these breeds are really quiet as well. At least mine are . The thing about the Easter Eggers is they lay different colored eggs that look as those they have been dyed for Easter.
Those are the breeds that I have and been familiar with
deana

Buff Orpingtons. They're super friendly, not flighty at all, quiet, and good layers. I don't think you could go wrong. Lots of good breeds out there, but that one sounds perfect for your situation

I'm located in wylie. Im new to the state a few months ago so I REALLY dont know the area well at all. I had to google those places to even know where they were *face palm* lol

Welcome to Texas !! How do you like it so far I can see on the map is on the other side of Dallas we are on the other side of Fort Worth. I just looked up driving directions and it says we are 1hr and 45 minutes away. That is just putting in Wylie.
So that is not to far.

Back
Top Bottom