Thankful I have my chicks....Rambling Rant!!!

hugs.gif

Thanks everybody, you all have said some things that I so need to seriously think about. I have never had the DS tested for any learning disabilites as he is a whiz...elem school was a breeze for him, it wasn't until HS that he lost all interest, it is not that he can't do it, it is he is just plain lazy when it comes to school, NO INTEREST!!! As far as the home schooling, I honestly don't think it would work....I don't want to sound like I don't have time for my son, but....I am fearful of having to stand over him, every day hour by hour to get it done, does that make sense, I really don't think he has the drive to stick to sitting down and doing lessons at home. Although it is something to consider. The GED...that is something that has crossed my mind but to me, just isnt the same as a diploma and seeing him walk across the stage, which is very, very important to me!!! But, if I have to give in and allow it, and he can do it and further his welding...and suceed..it is worth a shot!!!My DS is very,outdoorsy, loves anything and everything to do with it and has a very strong interest in becoming a welder, which I soooo would love to see. I had a chat with him last night, and it was a good one, and I laid it out once again for him....this IS his life, he is the one who has to put forth the effort and he says he understands that. He would like to transfer to a school out of our district, just a few miles up the road, which offers Vo-Tech, I agreed and think that would be great for him, he take the classes for welding and get an early start. BUT, with his grades as they are, there is just no way he will be accepted, which now he is seeing the jepoardy he is putting himself in. As far as the going to live with the dad issue, I still and once again, laid it down for him....I don't care how old he is....or what his father says, I will fight tooth and nail to keep him with me.....as I asked last nite....when do you see your dad?, when does he call? when was the last time he did anything for you? But yet, you have been down that road(living with him), didn't like it and wanted to come home...you think it is gonna be different....he has no time for you now....and he works days....7am to 3:30 pm every weekend off....does he come and pick you up, he goes hunting and fishing...does he include you, even though he knows that is something you LOVE to do??? He just looked at me, and to be honest it hurts me to have to remind him so-to-speak of these things, but honestly...the dad thinks his support payments, that I had to drag him into court to get, because he wasn't willing to pay on his own, is raising his son, and when I call to try to get him to come and get DS and spend some time with him, he is to busy...he sure is....drinking, partying...living the good life!!! I know this, as we get these lovely drunken phone calls at all hours....yep to busy!!! I am hoping that my DS will come around, he can be so sensable sometimes, and it is all in front of him, I know I need to let him make his own mistakes, and learn from them, I need to let him grow up. But I can tell you, everyday I look at my DD and feel that I have failed her, I fought and fought with the school for years about her education, and now, she has graduated, can't count change, and struggles telling time, her reading is on a maybe 7th grade level...and comprehension, far below that.....I know I really didn't but we all want the very best for our kids, and I don't know what her future is, not many jobs here in this little town...and most require things that she just can't seem to get!!! I know who failed her, it wasn't me, but it sure hurts because she wants to better herself, she wants to get a job...and I have a DS who could give a crap less about all this, who has all the potential and is just throwing it all away!!! Just is a very hard thing to deal with. But I trully thank all of you for listening to my rant, I hope and pray everyday for something good to come for both of my kids....I love them dearly, and guess day by day, we will get through, it just def is not an easy life!!! I'm off to visit with my peeps and get this day started!!!! Thanks again!!!!

I think you are wise to try to get him into a vocational school. I worked at a university and, believe me, too many kids don't belong there. College is not for everyone. A skill will give him confidence and self-esteem, for one thing. Maybe he will meet an instructor who will take an interest in him and be a good role model. About the grades, maybe you could talk to the people at a Vo-Tech school. Your son sounds bored with high school.

Parenting a teen, to me, is the hardest job in the world. Sometimes you simply can't reason with them. Some teens, though, are a breeze and a joy to be around--just depends on the child. Most things in life are temporary. I hope everything with you and your son will work out. Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom