Thanksgiving Hatchalong

:he A bit frustrated at the moment. Candling the chicken eggs is a bust. The brown shells are notoriously difficult to candle, but I tried anyway. One looks possibly dead (ring of death). A couple of the lighter ones show what looks like veining and I can't tell anything on the rest. Can't even candle the quail eggs, too small and fragile. However, I am concerned about the quail eggs around the edges of the incubator. I can't get the temp along the sides above 97 without cooking the eggs in the middle where it is a comfortable 100. The chicken eggs like it a touch warmer than the quail so they are in the middle surrounded by quail.

:idunno I need a new/better incubator.

he.gif
A bit frustrated at the moment. Candling the chicken eggs is a bust. The brown shells are notoriously difficult to candle, but I tried anyway. One looks possibly dead (ring of death). A couple of the lighter ones show what looks like veining and I can't tell anything on the rest. Can't even candle the quail eggs, too small and fragile. However, I am concerned about the quail eggs around the edges of the incubator. I can't get the temp along the sides above 97 without cooking the eggs in the middle where it is a comfortable 100. The chicken eggs like it a touch warmer than the quail so they are in the middle surrounded by quail.

idunno.gif
I need a new/better incubator.

Add a fan. Mine made a huge difference in my incubator. I recommend finding a computer repair shop and getting a cpu fan from them, then look up wiring a cpu fan for an incubator. There's a thread here on BYC, I think, that tells you how. Cheap and relatively easy.

We just got a Hovabator still air over the weekend since the Brinsea is so small inside, we wanted a larger bator to hatch in. Plus, we weren't able to set any eggs from our existing flock- so we set 6 more in the Hova 11/1 and will stagger hatch in it if more than 5 of 8 Marans in the Brinsea make it to lockdown.
So updated totals/ hatch days:
8 bc Marans due 11/20
6 mixed breeds due 11/22

:he A bit frustrated at the moment. Candling the chicken eggs is a bust. The brown shells are notoriously difficult to candle, but I tried anyway. One looks possibly dead (ring of death). A couple of the lighter ones show what looks like veining and I can't tell anything on the rest. Can't even candle the quail eggs, too small and fragile. However, I am concerned about the quail eggs around the edges of the incubator. I can't get the temp along the sides above 97 without cooking the eggs in the middle where it is a comfortable 100. The chicken eggs like it a touch warmer than the quail so they are in the middle surrounded by quail.

:idunno I need a new/better incubator.

I have better luck candling dark eggs around day 10, I just use a cheapie $3 led flashlight from Walmart camping supplies department and it does a pretty good job with my green eggs and Marans eggs. So maybe give them a few days and take another peek at them- hopefully you'll see more then.
I've read about the hot and cold spots in the still air bators and some folks here on byc rotate the eggs on the edges with the ones in the warmer spots. Maybe something to try until you get a fan for it or new incubator.

I'm so excited to join in, I just received my first batch of shipped eggs today so they'll go in the bator tomorrow!! I "won" 10 Silkie eggs and got 12, 4 have detached air cells, I've got all 12 upright right now, and I'll keep them in the cartons until lockdown! I hope someone hatches lol

How do yall win eggs?

29 eggs just days away from lock down now. Expected hatch this weekend. The last week is going to go by so slow. I am too excited about the new fluffy bottoms.

My first egg pipped last night. There's been no progress so I'm feeling really impatient. I've had humidity issues since lock down as I haven't used this incubator before (or any incubator for that matter) but I seem to have sorted that out. I just need to remind myself that I only wanted 4 chickens so if all 9 don't hatch it's not too much of a problem. It's just that they all seemed alive at lock down and if they don't make it then I killed them.

eBay is where I got mine from, I'm only on day 2 and they are taunting me.....I keep telling myself "hands off for 5 more days!" I can make it 5 more days before I candle, right??

Back
Top Bottom