Thanksgiving Hatchalong

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Chrysolinsbirds, Oct 20, 2015.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    :he A bit frustrated at the moment. Candling the chicken eggs is a bust. The brown shells are notoriously difficult to candle, but I tried anyway. One looks possibly dead (ring of death). A couple of the lighter ones show what looks like veining and I can't tell anything on the rest. Can't even candle the quail eggs, too small and fragile. However, I am concerned about the quail eggs around the edges of the incubator. I can't get the temp along the sides above 97 without cooking the eggs in the middle where it is a comfortable 100. The chicken eggs like it a touch warmer than the quail so they are in the middle surrounded by quail.

:idunno I need a new/better incubator.

2. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    Add a fan. Mine made a huge difference in my incubator. I recommend finding a computer repair shop and getting a cpu fan from them, then look up wiring a cpu fan for an incubator. There's a thread here on BYC, I think, that tells you how. Cheap and relatively easy.

1 person likes this.
  3. Laurel Meadows

Laurel Meadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Ohio
    We just got a Hovabator still air over the weekend since the Brinsea is so small inside, we wanted a larger bator to hatch in. Plus, we weren't able to set any eggs from our existing flock- so we set 6 more in the Hova 11/1 and will stagger hatch in it if more than 5 of 8 Marans in the Brinsea make it to lockdown.
    So updated totals/ hatch days:
    8 bc Marans due 11/20
    6 mixed breeds due 11/22

4. Laurel Meadows

Laurel Meadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Ohio

I have better luck candling dark eggs around day 10, I just use a cheapie $3 led flashlight from Walmart camping supplies department and it does a pretty good job with my green eggs and Marans eggs. So maybe give them a few days and take another peek at them- hopefully you'll see more then.
    I've read about the hot and cold spots in the still air bators and some folks here on byc rotate the eggs on the edges with the ones in the warmer spots. Maybe something to try until you get a fan for it or new incubator.

1 person likes this.
  5. rt farms

rt farms Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    Arkansas
    How do yall win eggs?

6. rt farms

rt farms Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    Arkansas
    29 eggs just days away from lock down now. Expected hatch this weekend. The last week is going to go by so slow. I am too excited about the new fluffy bottoms.

7. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    Ebay bids, I am assuming

8. Hawk12

Hawk12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2015
    Hayden, ID

That is where I received mine from.

9. Lavender11

Lavender11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    My first egg pipped last night. There's been no progress so I'm feeling really impatient. I've had humidity issues since lock down as I haven't used this incubator before (or any incubator for that matter) but I seem to have sorted that out. I just need to remind myself that I only wanted 4 chickens so if all 9 don't hatch it's not too much of a problem. It's just that they all seemed alive at lock down and if they don't make it then I killed them.

10. Flockmama87

Flockmama87 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2015
    eBay is where I got mine from, I'm only on day 2 and they are taunting me.....I keep telling myself "hands off for 5 more days!" I can make it 5 more days before I candle, right??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by