Thanksgiving Hatchalong

Day 20 ends with one 1 egg pipped. There was a chirp coming from one of the other eggs but no pip yet. So two definite chicks out of 11 eggs! I really wish I didn't have to work tomorrow! Last time I let my broody hatch, everyone hatched on day 19 and 20. Fingers crossed.
Wish I was more experienced to help those in need on this thread. Good luck.

GL southern, just doing what I can for the 2 that were still alive trying not to stress to bad egg yolk on one that is out is about absorbed now, but seems real weak, or maybe it's just exhausted and taking a nap as she's breathing albeit shallow ,while it finishes, crosses fingers

Last edited:
I had to help my malpositioned chicks, set them on a wet paper towel and set them back in the incubator. Had to help pull off some of their inner membrane, after the yolk dried up - some of it may stick on their back or on their face or beak. Make sure they can breathe. I had some shipped eggs that had saddle aircells.

Sadly the one finished absorbing her yolk but both died, on a good note the first 2 out are doing awesome both are eating and drinking good and hobbled one is getting around much better

Heres my two chicks that hatched on thanksgiving day. I had to assist the black chick. Two die in the shell neither finished obsorbing there yolks.

I'm double posting this. It's on the broody hen thread too. Kinda freaking out. What happened here? It pipped yesterday afternoon. Nothing at 5:30 this morning. Got home to this. One chicken hatched fine while I was at work. Another just now. Momma was trying to peck at the second one as it came out of shell. I shielding it and then tucked it under her.

Is this picture just a developmental issue?

Also, I have three more pipped eggs (out of a total of ten eggs) and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to protect them all from her beak. She hatched in the past but one chick was two weeks old when others hatched while I was at work and she killed the others. I removed the two week old for 24 hours while remaining eggs hatched and she did fine with those two. Point is, she will kill to protect her babies.

I'm wondering if I should guard them all as they come out. I have no incubator but I do have a brooder set up. Although I like to let her raise her young.

:ya :cd Yiiipeeee!!!!!!! :celebrate :yiipchick So eggcited and blessed!!! 4/5 hatched so far and the 4th is the smashed olive egg chick!!!! The first three hatched on their own and the smashed egg was assisted. The chicks were very sticky and in need of a post hatching bath, but are back in the "fixed" hatcher drying off and fluffing out. Yay!!!! They survived the chaos and hatched!! I will keep a close watch over them the next couple weeks for any signs of health issues caused by the pre-hatching trauma. But, they are here now! WooHoo!!
All this eggecitment is so contagious it like a aoap opera cant wait to see what posts next glad all the little hatching
1f424.png
are doing good.

heres the 2 that made it at 3 days old but they are trying to eat everything including the paper towel now, the runt caught up to the other chick in short order as was only half the size of the first out on the left

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom