Thanksgiving Hatchalong

your quail must be like my chickens they don't follow the rules lol, gl on hatch

They were three days late! I had 9 make it to hatch date. 3 hatched on their own, one of which died shortly after hatching. 2 pipped and zipped but ended up shrink wrapped even though they were in lockdown(we've had a lot of humidity issues this go-around) that required assistance hatching. 4 never pipped. They had absorbed yolk but still had blood vessels everywhere. I'm still thankful to have 4 healthy & happy little chicks :-D I've also got 6 pipped chicken eggs that I'm watching like a hawk due to the hatching issues the quail had! We'll see how they are looking tomorrow morning.

Heres my two chicks that hatched on thanksgiving day. I had to assist the black chick. Two die in the shell neither finished obsorbing there yolks.

You have twins! And I love the black one :)

So far 6 chicks hatched... These are supposed to be "purebred buff Orpington..." Apparently someone missed the memo? :-/

Last edited:
So far 6 chicks hatched... These are supposed to be "purebred buff Orpington..." Apparently someone missed the memo? :-/

Congrats on those that have hatched! But you may have to explain to the chicks that they are another color so they don't grow up confused thinking they are all buff orpingtons...

Of my Marans, 9 total hatched! But one is weak and splayed legged. When I put the bandaid splint on him, he's just laying there not trying to move, kind of like he's given up :( He was eating and drinking last night, but won't eat or drink this morning :( The other 8 are fine.

Also that lone Araucana egg hatched, but the chick had way too many issues: eyeballs didn't develop in the sockets, they developed down by the jaw... which caused severe cross beak. It was bizarre, because it would "blink"with it's eyelids... and open sockets. There was also leg issues too (as in the hips might have been deformed as well), so we put it down. It was creepy and cool at the same time.

Of my Marans, 9 total hatched! But one is weak and splayed legged. When I put the bandaid splint on him, he's just laying there not trying to move, kind of like he's given up :( He was eating and drinking last night, but won't eat or drink this morning :( The other 8 are fine.

Also that lone Araucana egg hatched, but the chick had way too many issues: eyeballs didn't develop in the sockets, they developed down by the jaw... which caused severe cross beak. It was bizarre, because it would "blink"with it's eyelids... and open sockets. There was also leg issues too (as in the hips might have been deformed as well), so we put it down. It was creepy and cool at the same time.

Congrats on your new Marans babies :)

Wow what strange birth defects that poor little Araucana had! Its amazing that it hatched with the facial deformities! Sorry you had to go through culling that one :-(

Sorry if I may have missed them earlier, but did you post pics of your Marans? I just hatched those too- love 'em :)

Well,y silkie got off the nest on day 20 and didn't go back... They weren't fertile :p

But my Wyandotte hatched out a Silkie/EE... I am so impatient to go yank that chick out of her wing so I can see it!!! :D

But she has 4 eggs left out if a staggered set, 3 days to go before they're all accounted for...

All I can tell us the feathers stuck to the inside if the shell look black... Ugh, impatient :p

Back
Top Bottom