That Is It!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fowled-out, Oct 29, 2010.

1. fowled-out

fowled-out Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Went to the local sporting goods store store and bought a Streamlight Stinger high power flashlight and a .22 Magnum rimfire rifle. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF OPPOSSUMS GETTING MY MARANS AND WELSUMMERS! THEY ATE ALL THE EGGS AND KILLED MY BREEDER HEN! Me and my uncle will stay up the next few nights with a motion activated light over chicken gut bait waiting for them. Everything I tried failed, so I'm going to get them this time. The war is on!

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Do what you gotta do. I've already decided that when we start losing to predators, the camp out with rifle time will begin. Good luck.

3. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Good luck! I got ours last night with a trap and a can of cat food. Just glad I got him before he got my girls.

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Go buy a live trap as well and keep that trap baited until you stop catching them.

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:I agree there. We waited all night one night and went in for a quick drink, came back out and coon had gotten in and taken a bird and killed like 4 others. On bright side we found out where it was getting in. Would never have thought it would fit till I seen it get out from there. Live trap bought the next night and caught till they stopped coming. That was four coons and two opposums later.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    It is a lot better to trap and kill that spraying .22 bullets around in the dark. Remember one of the first rules of shooting is to "know your background". A .22 bullet can travel half a mile or more.

7. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    I agree with Woodmort, always know your background. I always follow my Dad's advice, aim slow, don't waste the ammunition. If you don't get them the first time, they'll be back.

I also wonder whether that .22 is big enough. I use a .22 on snakes in the ponds. It's a bit like a pea shooter (good target practice) if I can hit a snake with it, I can hit anything. I don't use it on coons because I've had a few that I wounded and ran off, I had to shoot them next day. I felt terrible, I don't want to make them suffer, I want them dead.

8. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    The .22 works great provided you get a head or heart/lung shot on them. Again, a live trap makes this easier.

9. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Go get em!

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Frequently a lot more than a half mile, for example the .22LR ammo I have has a warning on the box it says Caution Dangerous within 1 1/2 miles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by