The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

@ronott1
Good morning Ron
Trader Joes hens started laying yesterday. Hatched 8-9-15. Well at least one did
thumbsup.gif

They will keep laying for a long time too!

I changed bators about day 18 because the little one kept messing up not even sure what the brand was but right now it is sitting in the dumpster outside LOL I have one that I love it is just bigger and I figured with a smaller hatch I would use the small one, NEVER gonna make that mistake again stick with what works.

My 1 little pip is starting to unzip and thank god I have 2 x2day old babies for her to chill with. I think she is gonna be fine.

Since this is a pretty active thread and yall are experienced hatchets can anyone tell me if I can set eggs that are cold when collected. It's like 20 here and when I collect eggs they're usually cold. Not frozen but cold. Would I be able to hatch them if they get cold?
Let them warm up to room temperature before setting them.

Quote:
He doesn't need the oysters - he has plenty of desire. I think he is just shooting blanks!
hmm.png

Walli, I read something about roosters needing the right amount of light....like hens do to lay...for max fertility. I will see if I can find it.
Fertility also goes down when males are molting.

Holy cow! It took me 30 min to catch up just from not being on since lunch.

When is a good day to candle duck eggs and actually be able to see something? Got 16 khaki Campbell eggs on day 4
Around Day 7.

1 pip out of 6 eggs I really need to make sure this bator is all set for the Easter hatch. I have never had this much trouble, lost 1 baby to the membrane drying out and killed one baby another was born so wet it took her 2 days to cool off....... I will never again use the small bator I will stick to my old trusty foam one. New technology my butt..... Praying at least the one little pip makes it out and hopefully we will get at least 1 more out of this..... Feeling bummed out right now
he.gif
fl.gif

Quote:
Set up a series of grow out pens and move the hatched chick through them. The last place they go is into your flock at 16 weeks old.

Mice start in rubbermaid tubs, move to a brooder in the garage and then into a larger pen. When they make it to 16 weeks old or so then they move in with the flock or into breeding pens. You just have to time hatches so that they move through the system you set up.

I sell some of them and cockerels are processed.
Ron! You raise mice? ...and move them in with the flock?
ep.gif
Quote: No, It was a typo.

gig.gif
I know....I was just messin' with ya!!!
tongue2.gif

I changed bators about day 18 because the little one kept messing up not even sure what the brand was but right now it is sitting in the dumpster outside LOL I have one that I love it is just bigger and I figured with a smaller hatch I would use the small one, NEVER gonna make that mistake again stick with what works.

My 1 little pip is starting to unzip and thank god I have 2 x2day old babies for her to chill with. I think she is gonna be fine.
oh good!

Sorry @Sally Sunshine and everyone else. I guess I just don't understand why it was such a bad thing, or be considered a "disappointment." Was it stated in a rule that I missed?
Mornin campin! Not a big deal at all. I posted big to make sure I got everyones attention... lets blame CH for that
lau.gif

We have found from experience that kinda posting can get out of control fast, and by fast I mean a godzillion posts in short order and to keep the peace between those of us that CAN and have TIME to sort through all of it vs the new hatchers, posts can get missed when someone needs help very quickly. Even with the random funny postings and mini contests I wont allow it.

I had my thermometers arrive today, because my others broke just as I was setting up for this hatch. I now know why my first hatch in my new bator is not doing so well. I set 50ish eggs. Culled to 35 on day 7 and now down to 24. The temp is 2.5 c higher in bator than setting. Have now applied cal factor for that and set to 38.0c which is giving me 100f at the center of the eggs all round. All good for lockdown tommorrow. Will see how many hatch. Should be good for the Hal by now. Just stuck in a preorder for 6 lav ara 6 black orps and 12 RIR to set. Need to see if I can track down the other 2 breeds now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom