The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. lacymorgan

lacymorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    Before I got my cabinet I turned by hand My timing was random. Whenever I walked passed them I would stop and turn them
  2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2015
    I love sweetgrass turkeys!
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you are wanting to breed for egg color, then..........

A. Set all the eggs and sell pullets that lay light.

B. Set dark eggs only.

I know, I'm no help. [​IMG] If you are planning on keeping any cockerels, then only set dark eggs.
  4. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

Well, I am not keeping any cockerels. All my roosters will be pure bred. Right now I only have 2, but they are from very different lines and 1.5 year apart in age.

The other problem, is with 46 layers, I have no way to know which ones lay light. If you have any suggestions as to how I can know, do tell.
  5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Don't worry about the age of the eggs so much. After 15 days is when the real trouble starts for eggs that are not shipped.

About an hour is added to hatch time per day so on average, a 10 day old egg will hatch 10 hours later. Hatching a mix of old and newly collected eggs will make the hatch longer but it should be fine!
    1 person likes this.
  6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Not sure if anyone will remember I was worried about my hen..she's ok! I was quite worried about her yesterday. Had egg shell and the white fall out, and she was just standing around fluffed up. I got all of that off of her, and now she is acting just fine. Preening on the back porch step with two others. I think she was just stressed to have something hanging there that she couldn't get off!
    1 person likes this.
  7. jwlpoultry

jwlpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Thinking of setting some Peafowl, Pheasant or quail eggs for the Easter hatch along does anyone have any advice on them? I have never had Peafowl or Pheasants but have had quail. are Pheasants and Peafowl much different from turkeys?
  8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    My Coop
    see what they answered below all good....

AND.... I cheat.... and I have better hatches since I do this......

I roll my eggs gently with my clean washed hands by the palm while they are in a horizontal position
    it makes turning more easy, and you will end up rotating eggs around much in the bator
    since its a cinch to turn like this, you will find yourself walking by and turning many more times a day than 3
    turning them so that the cam reaches the bottom of the egg
    the embryos are getting moved from "adherence"
    AND it helps reduce chances of malpositions.

9. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    I don't do anything differently for pheasants... for peafowl I do put the eggs sideline (opposed to air say up) in my egg trays for the duration. I also will flip the eggs 180 every other day, even though they are on the auto turner. In theory you should keep the humidity a tad higher, so I heard, but I am in Florida, and I don't add any additional water than the natural humidity and it hasn't affected my hatches.
  10. jwlpoultry

jwlpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by