The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. campingshaws

campingshaws Flock Master

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Thanks @Sally Sunshine! Here's my candler. :lol:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Awesome on the fertility and yolk color! You must free range your birds. (can't do that here, or I'd have no birds)

Yeppers. A crowing 1 DAY old chick:
    @Sally Sunshine @campingshaws
    [​IMG]

Sally knows how much I appreciate her. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. campingshaws

campingshaws Flock Master

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    @Happy Chooks @Sally Sunshine

I've seen that video before! Crazy! I'm going to try to get a vid of this baby. And definitely banding it for later. It's not one that I thought was a cockerel...

4. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy Premium Member

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    :weee :celebrate

5. cjkriebel

cjkriebel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Parker Pa
    Day 14 of my test hatch out of 41 we had 4 quitters. Praying for a good hatch at least better than my last hatch.

6. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    I know at least a couple people on here were complaining about not having an incubator. If you are one of those and want it, I'll have a LG incubator w/ fan that I could send to you as soon as my new one comes and I make sure it works. I'd be there by the end of the month. Maybe you'll have better luck than me (especially if you have time to babysit it...) PM me if interested.

Edit: it has a home-built auto turner that I'll send with since it was built for that incubator. Works OK for quail or chicken eggs, but not so much for duck eggs.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  7. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    Congrats! Great photo, definite development there! Nice.
    Yes, they free range, though the pickings are slim here with the snow cover. They get tons of table scraps as well. Happy chix! If I didn't have Iowa Blues, I'd have no birds. They do well with the hawks, coyotes, fox, owls, weasels, and other assorted predator central offerings here as long as they have a secure coop for night time. All other breeds, especially if they are white/lavender, come up missing if allowed to free range. The Iowa Blues are hyper aware of their surroundings and not a feather is found if there is a hawk in the air. They are GONE.

8. aplynn

aplynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    Buxton, Maine
    Looks like my Easter HAL is gonna be awsome, just cracked open 8 of the bantam silkie eggs to find the little white dots on the yolks.... WOO HOO I was worried because they JUST started laying eggs

9. lacymorgan

lacymorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    How Eggciting congrats[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Those are so cute! [​IMG]

Such cute teensy quails! My quails are still not laying yet [​IMG] I hope they start soon so I can do a fertility test hatch before the Easter H-A-L [​IMG]

[​IMG] She looks like such a good mama, and the baby is so cute [​IMG]

When I hatched duck eggs I did everything pretty much the same as I do for chicken eggs except I misted them with warm water at least once a day. They take 28 days though instead of 21, and the extra week of waiting is torture [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by