The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

This one is way cool.. showing my hubby, bet he can make it. Only thing I wonder about...if mice could get out once they got in. ??
FB_IMG_1522942868416.jpg

Thank you. Yeah it's bittersweet. My Grandpa was more like a father to me and it was a long battle with Alzheimer's. I was also one of his main caretakers and lived with my grandparents for over 4 years before DH2B and I got serious.

He also loved Easter so it's been hard. However he was saved and it's because of Easter of course that that was possible.

It's also the birthday of my cat, Cassie, that I lost a couple years ago to cancer. And the favorite holiday of my cousin, Sarah, who was like a sister to me, and I that passed away very suddenly 11 years ago now.

So I've been sort of a wreck and not even really aware of how emotional I was until yesterday.

Funny how in the back of your mind your body can be grieving and recognizing dates and such even when they're not first and foremost in your mind.

You need hugs. :hugs :hugs My DH was just diagnosed with Alzheimer's Dementia a few months back. First meds..not good. The one he's on now at least is keeping him more stable. Early to first part of mid stage. Heart breaking. Right now I still mostly have the sweetheart I've known. Seeing changes, so hard.

Thank you all for the hugs.

Now @Cynthia12
I'm so very very sorry for what you posted. It's not easy not all. My Grandpa had a really good fight. We caught it pretty early and he fought for over 14-15 years. He did really well until a couple years ago.

We were able to keep him home so long because both my mother and I moved in with my grandparents. Grandma has dementia and the care never ends. Grandma too has gotten worse in the last couple years.

Keep your husband busy if he's able do puzzles and word games word searches brain teasers you name it. Keep him interacting with people. It all helps them stay longer. There's so very much that's not said and not known.

Of course there's always more to learn about it and medicine is going farther.

There's so many theories.

One thing I noticed that when Grandpa ate more processed foods he seemed to do worse and progress faster.

Do not ever be ashamed of him. Grandma as Grandpa got worse thought people would judge and think him stupid. She was so afraid people were making fun behind our backs etc. She was embarrassed. Of course that's how her generation was raised they didn't know anything about Alzheimer's.

I'm not an expert at all but if you ever need someone to talk to I would be glad to listen and to share.

I was only 12 or so when grandpa was diagnosed I knew more of the person he became than the one he was before.

So many people in my family as he got worse said that wasn't Grandpa said Grandpa was gone already. Some even stopped seeing him because they just wrote him off.

They may be locked inside themselves and parts may be hidden or missing but they are not gone.

We finally a few years ago had to move Grandpa into an assisted living. It was the hardest thing, because it was how greatest fear. His father had had Alzheimer's when it was in what seems it's infancy of being discovered. It was awful. No one in the family knew because my Great Grandma had hidden it and covered it up. It wasn't until she passed away that we saw him doing strange things and finally found out. Eventually he was placed in a nursing home and it was not good. They didn't care for him like they should have.

Some Alzheimer's patients become violent we were blessed Grandpa became more loving. However when he was quite far along if he sundowned and got scared and confused and wasn't dealt with in the right manner he would yell and threaten even push back if someone grabbed him.

I'm writing a book right now to shed some light on something that touches so many but so few talk about.

I also want you to know that even when Grandpa was very close to the end he knew he loved us and sometimes he knew who we were. He was still a joker and a sweet loving man.

I'm praying for you and your husband and sending you both hugs.

Oh thank you for responding chickendreams. I was hoping you would have some things to say. I like a few things things you said... like, It took a lot of years before he had to go into a hone. We actyally have a daughter close that is a nurse. She is in tbe delivery room in a hospital, but also does home care and hospice. Lucky to have her close by. And you said .. keep him busy, I've been doing that, and he loves it. Suger is bad for people with Dementia! Will he give up his granola in the mornings? No. Also, he is already showing signs as a sun downer, doc had said so, I already knew. I used to work in an Assisted Home for yesrs. He has always been a very sweet kind person. My goodness, more so now! I have heard it can go one way or the other. Glad he's being sweet. Thanks again! I just may take you up on that offer. Questions always pop up in my mind.

5244.gif
Some great news for the 2019 EHAL!
Easter is April 21 next year! We will have a greater chance of decent weather since we will start incubating on the day we were hatching this year!
Yay! And I don't have to get my butt going as soon!

East of Sacramento Ca. North of pjnbill. If this pans out they are expecting the Truckee River to flood. There’s a watch in our area as well but it doesn’t flood where I’m at just the roads can get interesting.
Yep, it's supposed to be a bad one!
Thankfully most of them weren't to be incubated but rather sold to egg customers but there was a few I wanted to incubate.

Really it was the mess more than anything.

It's been a tough Easter here anyway as it's the first Easter since my Grandpa passed away the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Losing the chicks didn't help that.
I'm so sorry.

You need hugs. :hugs :hugs

My DH was just diagnosed with Alzheimer's Dementia a few months back. First meds..not good. The one he's on now at least is keeping him more stable. Early to first part of mid stage. Heart breaking. Right now I still mostly have the sweetheart I've known. Seeing changes, so hard.
PM me if you ever have questions. My grandmother has had dementia for about 7 years now. She is in the advanced stages now, and is very seldom the person she used to be. She is 92 and her body is healthy as can be. She has been in a memory care facility for 5 years now, and has to be watched constantly. She needs help with everything now, including going to the bathroom.

She LOVES her sugar. Sugar gives dementia patients a dopamine like response. I figure at 92 she can have whatever she wants.

I was told in her early stages not to argue with her. It just upsets her, so we would agree, even though we knew it wasn't right. She thought she was traveling on a train/ship/hotel and we just happened to be at her stop.:lol: Now she has no knowledge of where she is, but she can tell you things from her childhood like it was yesterday. It's crazy how the mind works.

I am a little late getting my pictures uploaded, so this may be a little picture heavy. Love seeing all the cute fluffy butts in all the pictures :D. Congratulations to all those that got their nice babies and :hugsand wishes for better days to all those that had trouble with their hatch.
I set 58 eggs, ended up with 42 making it out of the egg and lost 3 of those. had 39 end of day Easter Sunday. Lost one of those 3 days later. so today (April 5th) my count is 38 out of 58 and all doing good so far. Most chicks are Easter Eggers x barred rock. Enjoy. I know I am loving to watch the little boogers.
Easterhatchalongvarietychicksx4.jpg
Easterhatchalongvarietychicksx4hatching.jpg
Easterhatchalong1st13.jpg
Easterhatchalonglasthhatched.jpg
Easterhatchalongyellowchickx2.jpg

Yay! And I don't have to get my butt going as soon!

Yep, it's supposed to be a bad one!

I'm so sorry.

PM me if you ever have questions. My grandmother has had dementia for about 7 years now. She is in the advanced stages now, and is very seldom the person she used to be. She is 92 and her body is healthy as can be. She has been in a memory care facility for 5 years now, and has to be watched constantly. She needs help with everything now, including going to the bathroom.

She LOVES her sugar. Sugar gives dementia patients a dopamine like response. I figure at 92 she can have whatever she wants.

I was told in her early stages not to argue with her. It just upsets her, so we would agree, even though we knew it wasn't right. She thought she was traveling on a train/ship/hotel and we just happened to be at her stop.:lol: Now she has no knowledge of where she is, but she can tell you things from her childhood like it was yesterday. It's crazy how the mind works.
Yes! I find myself quibbling, as they call it. I don't do it as much as I used to. I know better now. I just let him think he's right. I have to say, some things he's says is kind of funny/cute. Until I lay down at night and think of it again, and it hits me just how things are progressing, then I find myself in tears, at times, not always. And, He loves bringing up his past! Thanks for the offer.. may be talking to you too. :)

I am a little late getting my pictures uploaded, so this may be a little picture heavy. Love seeing all the cute fluffy butts in all the pictures :D. Congratulations to all those that got their nice babies and :hugsand wishes for better days to all those that had trouble with their hatch.
I set 58 eggs, ended up with 42 making it out of the egg and lost 3 of those. had 39 end of day Easter Sunday. Lost one of those 3 days later. so today (April 5th) my count is 38 out of 58 and all doing good so far. Most chicks are Easter Eggers x barred rock. Enjoy. I know I am loving to watch the little boogers.
View attachment 1326208 View attachment 1326212 View attachment 1326213 View attachment 1326216 View attachment 1326217
That's s lot of babies!! :eek: A lot if cute babies! :love

Back
Top Bottom