The "Accidental" no turn hatch experiment.

chicken eggs have what is called a bloom on the egg which is a protective coating. either the bloom got wore off some how, or didn't get evenly distributed.

I have a question for those of you who understand egg coloring, I'm just learning. I bred a FBC Marans rooster to two Ameraucauna hens. One hen lays pale peach color eggs, the other laid bright blue eggs, both with smooth shells. Out of 6 eggs (3 from each hen) I got two cockerels and four pullets. Two of the pullets lay olive green eggs, the other two lay a dark rose/brown. The shells on the olive eggs are rough, the shells on the rose/brown ones are smooth. I put the two that lay olive eggs in 'time out' in wire kennels for a day and a half because they were ferociously tormenting one of my gentle, older hens and some of the others. I have also spent time holding them and hand feeding them to try to encourage submission and calmness.Last evening they both laid smaller eggs than usual, one was very pale, almost the peach color, the other was mottled olive with blue, which is the one in the two photos. I'm thinking the stress of being penned may have caused the difference in size and color. Also, I've noticed the color of the inside of the olive eggs is the same blue as their mother's eggs, and the inside of the rose/brown eggs is the color of their mothers eggs. Any thoughts?
I am going to try to make it simple. For the purpose of this discussion, egg shells only have 2 color genes white and blue. Blue is dominant over white, so chicken that have a blue egg gene will have egg shell that is blue and lacking the gene will have a white egg shell.

Now Brown is not an egg shell color. It is the color of paint that is done on top of the egg in the final stages and is controlled by more than a dozen different genes. So when you see a brown egg and break it, its shell inside will be white. Whereas if you break a blue egg, shell is blue and white egg, the shell is white.

Rest of the colors are a mixture different paints on top of blue egg color. For example Olive eggs have a blue egg shell but depending upon the color of paint on outside layer they can look from green to dark olive.

Some say pink color has its own genetic but its not very clear (at least I haven't found any credible resource yet)

Back
Top Bottom